3000 gallon storage heat up time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wade

Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
Manitoba
For all you that have storage,what is the size of storage and how long does it take for the temp of water to get up to a usable heat?

That's a whole lot of storage! How fast it will heat up will depend on the size of the boiler and your ability to transfer BTU's from it to your storage water. "Useable" temp also depends on the type of system you're using. Is it radiant in-floor, baseboard, forced air furnace?

I'm sure you'll get some responses. I bet it will take many hours (12+) to get that much water heated....depending on your start temp too....

3000 gallons? Wow! I'm pretty sure that beats everyone here.

The real answer to heating time is "it depends".

If you have pressurized storage with good stratification, you can calculate the time based on your boiler's output. One pound of water takes one BTU to be raised one degree. 3000 gallons weighs about 25,000 pounds, so every degree will take 25,000 BTU. A 200,000 BTU boiler would raise it 8 degrees per hour.

If it's not pressurized, then the amount of heat that you can get through the heat exchanger will drop off as the tank starts to get hot, and the question is much harder to answer.

energy required= 8.33 X tank capacity X (temperature required- start temperature)

So to heat 3000 gallons from 64F to 180F

8.33 X 3000 X (180-65) = 2,873,850 BTU

What is the output of your boiler and efficiency?

If you can supply 200,000 BTU/ hr, then about 14 hours to warm the tank, not accounting for any piping, tank, exchanger, etc losses.

I presently burn for @ 5hrs every 3 days and raise 3000 gal from 140*+/- to 200* or more depending on the dryness off my wood.
If I keep the draft inducer on high I can get the job done in 3 hrs. My boiler is rated at 800K and storage is pressurized.

Status
Not open for further replies.