30k-40k btu gas stove.. lopo? avalon? enviro!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pcampbell

Jan 3, 2008
Vermont
I wonder if anyone can suggest some ~30k btu gas stoves as I finally think this is what we've decided on.

My wife and I checked out the Lopi Berkshire and Avalon Tree of Life today and liked them very much, but the dealer quoted us at "around" $3000 + $1000 for the installation, which seems a little bit nuts. They had a sort of "Disclaimer" on their door going into the store that their prices include everything that is needed so we shouldn't compare prices to the $2000 I see on the internet - what is costing $1000 that I am forgetting about? Vent kit? Fan? Front door?

I also noticed that these 2 companies are owned by the same parent company... Travis Industries... how do they differ?

Also interested in perhaps an Enviro Westport or Harman FireLuxe? This will give you an idea of the style we like. It is hard for me to get a grasp of which companies are better than others, especially based on the pricing that I CAN find on the internet, they are roughly similar in pricing. For example a " base" Avalon tree of life (no fan, I guess) $2000 and an Enviro Westport with vent kit, fan for around $2000.

THANKS.

We also have been looking at the Enviro Westport.
Looking forward to hearing reviews on this one as well.

Quadrafire has a whole different style than Heat & Glo does. When you see them both up close you notice the little details that are different between the brands. Other than that I think they are both made in the same factory from the same materials, so one is not better than the other.

Another thing to consider when getting a gas stove is dealer support. Do they have qualified service techs? Eventually you will need a service call. Also you want to check out their installation practices, do they have professionally trained installers? Sometimes you need to pick the dealer first, then pick from the stoves they have available there.

I think for picking the stove you should not really worry about the brands too much. Check out the flame quality, logs, and the overall looks. I think just about any brand you will find at a dealer is going to be a good product. Some higher end stuff to look for is somethings that I know Quad and Heat & Glo have, fiber ceramic burner pans and cement logs. The metal burner pans or metal tubes don't offer the same flame quality as a fiber one. Also the cement logs I think tend to glow nicer than the low density fiber logs. Also some unit might offer or come with brick refractory panels for the inside to give it a more realistic look, and often you can add warming shelves and other accessories if that's your style.

Great points ... Thanks. The Berkshire and Tree of life are probably the same stove internally and we really liked the detail of the tree of life but didn't think much of the Berkshire so we'll throw that out. I've located dealers for the Heat n Glo and Quadra and Harman so we'll go check those out in person and reconvene!

Status
Not open for further replies.