32 inch versus 36 inch timber saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturla Snorrison

Nov 12, 2014
VT
www.vtgoatmilksoap.com
I am looking at getting a tuttle tooth crosscut saw as chainsaws just aren't my thing ( had a little accident a few years ago). Currently, the 36 inch I think I want is out of stock and looks like it will be for some time. The 32 inch model however, is in stock so I am wondering, would I regret not waiting for that extra four inches if I bought the 32? Most of what I cut is between 8 and 16 inches in diameter and consists primarily of red maple and white & yellow birch. Will I be much happier if I wait for the 36 to come in? Will I have deep regrets if I buy the 32 inch?

Thanks for any help & advice.

Last edited:
Unless your arms are Hobbit short, don't get a small saw for firewood. Most retail saws will be poorly manufactured and likely unsharpened. Find a four footer at a yard sale or on Ebay and get it filed and set for the type of wood you'll be cutting (hardwood I suppose?). Watch how this guy's saw throws chips. The saw is 4.5 feet long and he's taking a good full stroke. Disston made great bucking saws and they are easy to come by. Longer saws are also easier to use in 2-person mode and will cut way faster with a second sawyer.

Reactions: Fifelaker
Status
Not open for further replies.