35 yrs ago today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I remember Mt. St Helens blowing her top very clearly still. I watched it from our house in the U District some 75 miles to the north and still visible. The next day at work I was the one tasked with making the color proofs and first prints of the now famous sequence shot by Gary Rosenquist. People outside my darkroom heard a lot of Holy Shits! being exclaimed. Afterward I thought they were going to do a cavity search for stashed negatives. But considering the importance of these shots it was understandable.

http://petapixel.com/2013/02/26/photographing-the-eruption-of-mount-st-helens-from-10-miles-away/

I remember the blast quite clearly. I had relatives living in WA and they just weren't sure of what was going to be the long term effect (at that time) of the mass ejection.

Yes, When you realize that is thousands of feet of mountain going up all at once it's astounding. They did a grade B movie on Mt. St Helens a while after. This is the only clip I could find from the movie. Some of it is a bit cheezy, but a lot of the footage is real.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAKSY
I was 21 and attending UNH. One of my fellow room mates was a Geology major. I vividly recall that day; and as we sat around the oak table in the kitchen my room mate carefully explained the geology behind the eruption. It's one of those events that sticks in my mind... like 3 Mile Island and 9/11/01.

Great link, thanks. (not for the reminder of all the years hence, however! ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.