372 or 576?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakII

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Have decided to retire my 266xp to back-up status. Have narrowed the field to either a Husky 576 xp or a 372 xp. Any opinions would be appreciated. Not a Stihl person...nothing personal, just never cared for them.

I would want the legend! 372..........

I was kind of leaning that way. They both go for $1169, the 372 is 2 pounds lighter, and I am a little nervous about the auto tune carb.

KodiakII said:
I was kind of leaning that way. They both go for $1169, the 372 is 2 pounds lighter, and I am a little nervous about the auto tune carb.

I see the list price on the 372xp-w "full wrap"! 859.00 That there most expensive one. Hard not to want one of those. Keep hearing that there going to discontinue them and it would be a big mistake for husky imho.

I found my 372xp used with virtually no wear on it for $550. I would be nervous about an auto tune carb as well. Is that the only variant available to you?

I am not sure what type of wood you are cutting up there in Eastern Ontario, specifically if you have deciduous forests like the upper midwest/northeastern US. I can tell you my 372xp will bury it's 24 inch bar in hardwood and not hardly grunt, it's a fast cutting animal. Cutting through evergreen trees is scary how fast it goes. Frankly I just bought a small saw because limbing a downed tree with branches over your head gets a little tiring. I should not say this but I thoroughly enjoy cutting larger wood next to a guy with a home owner type saw because the difference is marked.

I have seen a few ads around here for people trying to get rid of trees larger that the 372 can handle. I just let them go. I'm 6' tall and 190 pounds, in decent shape (I can bench more than my weight more than once). I am not interested in a bigger saw

Frankly, I would take a look at the Stihl 440 if they are available up there. I heard the 441's run good as well. I know it's not your choice but they are supposed to be a hell of a saw like the 372xp. Have you seen this on you tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRE6iJ1roE

Good luck hunting.

Which 372 are you looking at? There is the old style and the new strato xtorq. Not that it matters to much. I'd prefer either 372 over the 576 due to the weight issue personally.

I'm biased but I love my 372. I also run a 24" bar, and seems like a perfect combo, though it came with a 32" from the previous owner. Got mine for $400 plus $80 for the new bar and chain if you're looking for used ('course what I paid out here means little if you're looking locally only).

3120!! :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.