Paying to get Frostbite - Getting skin patches taken care of

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I started visiting a Dermatologist a few years ago to get some odd patches on my head looked at. I am mostly bald on top and almost always wear a hat but nevertheless I had several AKs (actinic keratosis), they are regarded as precursors to skin cancer but are not skin cancer and probably tied to too much sun exposure years ago, probably when I still had hair but starting to thin. The standard approach is get them dealt with before they become skin cancer. In my case, they do cryotherapy which is controlled frostbite of the top layer of the skin patch. Its quick, just a squirt of a cold product on the skin and a bit of a sting. The skin cells die just like a first degree burn and fall off in the next few days and I am done for another year or two. They also did a full body check but didnt find any issues or concerns. The trick with this treatment is catch it early especially if skin cancer runs in the family as skin with AK is on the path to skin cancer. Generally folks with fair skin from high latitudes are the most impacted. For some it is just an annoyance, but with others if skin cancer is in the family (there is a genetic aspect) it can turn into cancer quickly. The alternative to not doing anything is it can spread to lower layers of the skin and when it needs to be dealt with, its surgery and inevitably it leaves a good size divot as they keep cutting until they hit the edges.

GPs are supposed to do checks but the reality is they end skipping a lot of things during an annual 15 minute physical. I was advised at one point from someone who had to have surgery to just skip the GP doctor and go direct to a dermatologist and that is what I do. The bummer of living up in the woods is its long drive to the nearest one but I usually tie it in with a shopping trip. On the way back I stopped at place I had wanted to stop for for years and they turned out to be full Hsqvarna dealer with a far bigger inventory of XP saws than my local place. I resisted the temptation to buy one ;)

Reactions: sloeffle
I used to have a local GP that did this for me as part of the annual wellness check. Unfortunately, he has retired. He used a q-tip dipped into a little ewer of liquid nitrogen. It was surprisingly effective. How much does a dermatologist visit cost?

Its been awhile since I had it done and havent been billed yet for todays procedure. I was in a heathcare center years ago that also did it in house but most now just refer.

I was in a heathcare center years ago that also did it in house but most now just refer.
Same here. The local healthcare center changed hands multiple times since and I'm not fond of the docs there now.

I once worked on my car in the street and in the next couple of days or so, the skin peeled off my ears, like a sunburn.
I'm happy to say that was my only experience.
Although I've gotten zapped for warts, lol.