Do I pay someone to get ahead?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been trying to spend 20-30 minutes each night while the weather is still nice (and the full moon helps out!) i am down to i think 2 more days of hand splitting then i will have to run the splitter for a few hours to get the really big stuff! Another 2 hours with the saw and I should be able to have everything that I currently have down processed..... until the next round.

stacks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i finally pulled the boat out far enough that I can both walk/stack wood behind it, as well as drive down the back... that is where the next batch of elm is going to go! These piles shown in front of the boat have to get moved first though...

there is also another pallet of stuff hiding behind the boat, that is sort of a mixed bag, but I can fit a little over 2 cord behind the boat....

right now I have around 3 cord css. I have between 2-3 cord that needs to be cut down so that it can be split and will fit in the stove. I have been trying to consolidate as much as I can, so when i get around to cutting it up, it will be easy to blow through. Of course I tried to get through some of it last week, but the saw wouldn't start. I have had a few friends say that they want to come over and help (and or owe me a favor or 5) but coordinating never really seems to happen.

In 2 weeks, I will be taking down a lot more trees, and that will be cut down to a good length to split. That will be for next years wood anyway, so I can gradually work on that stuff.

I saw an ad the other day (http://denver.craigslist.org/bar/5774242092.html) for a family that will come out and cut, split, stack, etc, and I was thinking it might be worth a couple of hundred bucks to have them come out (2 chainsaws, 2 splitters, 2 stackers) and get me through this stuff that I cannot seem to get processed. I like that it is a family affair, and many hands make light work.

Do you think it is worth it to have someone do this? I am leaning towards yes, since it will help me on my mission to be able to get a good path forward (although this also means stopping scrounging for a little bit so I can keep on top of it all!)
I think differently than most folks,having been in law enforcement about 20 years. Issues,strangers you know nothing about,chainsaws,woodsplitters two of the most dangerous devices ever created at mans hand. And last but not least liability isues.I find out one thing when it comes to working in wood,first it's hard work,and the only one you can really depend on is you,if you really want to get it done. I took on way more this year than I should have,but made it work. Still cutting and stacking today,my day off.

i have been trying to spend 20-30 minutes each night while the weather is still nice (and the full moon helps out!) i am down to i think 2 more days of hand splitting then i will have to run the splitter for a few hours to get the really big stuff! Another 2 hours with the saw and I should be able to have everything that I currently have down processed..... until the next round.

View attachment 185862

That Russian olive looks more like a boat wrapped in plastic.

Reactions: Hasufel
I guess I technically ended up paying someone, but he is an arborist B-). I got just about everything stacked and out of the way before the next round to keep me busy.

20161027_161850.jpg
They took down one dead elm, and the stuff in the front, and they stacked it in a pallet for me!
20161027_163102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job!

I did not read the 3 pages of replies, but to the OP, consider your purpose in burning. If it's purely financial, then paying someone does not make sense. If it's at least partly for the ambiance of having a fire in the living room, then you may have some justification. What's your goal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did not read the 3 pages of replies, but to the OP, consider your purpose in burning. If it's purely financial, then paying someone does not make sense. If it's at least partly for the ambiance of having a fire in the living room, then you may have some justification. What's your goal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i tried to edit my post, but I can't apparently. I did not hire hillbillies to do my work for me, i hired an arborist to take down the stuff i don't feel comfortable with and have plenty of wood to burn this winter :)

1st post edited. Good plan. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.