395XP Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonesy

Feeling the Heat
Oct 6, 2011
NE PA
Since I can't get to ArboristSite, maybe someone here can help. I have a fairly new (2011) 395XP. The little screw that holds down the metal guide plate behind the bar is stripped out and does not tighten. Any idea if I can tap it out at little larger and put a bigger screw in it?

I sold my 395XP a few months ago but it did start out as a project saw. Luckily I did not have to deal with this issue. My initial thoughts without having a saw in front of me to reference - is it hurting anything by having that screw stripped out? I'd be weary of tapping anything out that is a part of the crankcase. I would say leave it be if it is not hurting anything but again I have never encountered this issue on a chainsaw. Good luck.

I'd be weary of tapping anything out that is a part of the crankcase.

I haven't worked on a 395, but that screw is typically lined up with the oil tank, not the crankcase, so poking a hole through the other side would cause an oil leak rather than ruining the engine.

FWIW I had the same problem with a Stihl 034 and found that there were a few good threads past the stripped ones, and a slightly longer screw worked without retapping.

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
You can try one of those self tapping machine screws of the same length. They have a taper and cutters on the first few threads. Ask for them at the hardware store. You would use one that has a slightly larger diameter than the one that was in there. I'd just get it snug so as not to strip it again and if it works back it out and put some red thread lock in it. If you need to get it out again you might have to warm up the screw some to soften the compound. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.