395xp questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vtwoodheater

Burning Hunk
Nov 1, 2015
central VT
Anyone use as their primary saw? I have only run one for 10 minutes after I sharpened the chain for the owner. That was over a year ago, but I think I am still smiling. I think I want one. Do I need it?

What are you cutting to consider that your primary saw?
That saw is designed for a long bar and big wood.And is heavy to be swinging around all day.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I cut trees and firewood. I might be looking for more reasons why not to get one.
The only saw I own is a 372xp, therefore it is my primary saw. I fell, limb, buck, cut, carry around, etc. I don't feel it is heavy, I can run continuously for hours on end. I usually take a break for fuel and a chain touchup.
Your signature says you have Stihl saws (I'm guessing more than one), and "many big toys".
Maybe I don't need a 395, but it sure is sweet running one.

I agree I have the the jonsered 2172 I don’t find it heavy. No I’ve never ran a 395 but I bet I’d be smiling like you and after that it would be hard to talk myself out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerhurt: where in VT are you? Is the 2172 your "primary saw"?

I have a 390XP and I couldn't imagine it being my only saw. !!! Maybe I'm just a wimp though at 6'5" and 200-210lbs.

I cut trees and firewood. I might be looking for more reasons why not to get one.
The only saw I own is a 372xp, therefore it is my primary saw. I fell, limb, buck, cut, carry around, etc. I don't feel it is heavy, I can run continuously for hours on end. I usually take a break for fuel and a chain touchup.
Your signature says you have Stihl saws (I'm guessing more than one), and "many big toys".
Maybe I don't need a 395, but it sure is sweet running one.
I agree there is nothing wrong with having all the toys...
I get others broken stuff ,then fix it for my toys.
I have all the 0xx series of Stihls except for the 041G and the 090G.
We don't have any trees big enough to use any of the big saws on,my big saw to take for falling big trees was a 046.Some of the big toys are a 950 loader, EX200 excavator,D7 Cat,Kenworth T800 with a log trailer and Jeep.Which i could use to get fire wood but would all be overkill unless i was doing production wood cutting.

Reactions: Jerhurt
Anyone use as their primary saw? I have only run one for 10 minutes after I sharpened the chain for the owner. That was over a year ago, but I think I am still smiling. I think I want one. Do I need it?
I picked one up on a whim and have enjoyed it. For felling and bucking 18" and larger, it rocks well above the Stihl 029 that I've been using for 18 years. The size and weight of the 395xp for those two chores is not a problem to me. The 395xp cuts the trigger time almost in half compared to the Stihl 029. For limbing and such, I haven't even attempted with the 395xp and feel it to be too risky and honestly it's probably not the right tool for that. Another up side to the big ones is the ability to mill beams, planks and boards if needed.

If you already have a 372XP and want one I say go for it. Probably the smarter move is to get a smaller saw to compliment the 372XP however I'm not one to say you should relegate yourself to only one saw.

The making of a nice trio would be a 395XP + long bar for the big stuff and or milling, a 372XP + 20" bar for bucking firewood and pro grade saw in the 40cc range with a 18" bar for limbing.

I have run other smaller saws, mostly friends saws. Can't say as I could stand anything smaller than what I have for very long.
16 pounds isn't very much weight at all. When I can't lug that around I guess I will quit cutting wood. I know a 71 year old man that uses a 385xp to cut his firewood....

Reactions: Jerhurt
It's a great saw. Only complaint I have is the front chain tensioner. I barely use mine though.

I have run other smaller saws, mostly friends saws. Can't say as I could stand anything smaller than what I have for very long.
16 pounds isn't very much weight at all. When I can't lug that around I guess I will quit cutting wood. I know a 71 year old man that uses a 385xp to cut his firewood....

I agree I don’t find mine heavy and I love the cutting speed and especially the torque I do have a 2152 when I’m bucking the small limbs and to get me out of a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 390XP and I couldn't imagine it being my only saw. !!! Maybe I'm just a wimp though at 6'5" and 200-210lbs.
Yeah I have a 390XP too, a little smaller than the 395XP... I had my 390 ported by Scott Kunz AKA the tree monkey since he’s just down the road in Augusta Wisconsin like you did I think. I figure my ported 390 puts out around 9hp now but it’s heavy to me and I use it just when I need it for some big stuff. Otherwise I grab my ported 562XP with its 20" bar and full chisel chains. Vtwoodheater- If you cut big wood at times then go ahead and get one. You could get your 372XP ported and probably have rhe same power in a lighter saw too. I like ported saws, once you’ve run one your hooked.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRHAWK9
Yeah I have a 390XP too, a little smaller than the 395XP... I had my 390 ported by Scott Kunz AKA the tree monkey since he’s just down the road in Augusta Wisconsin like you did I think. I figure my ported 390 puts out around 9hp now but it’s heavy to me and I use it just when I need it for some big stuff. Otherwise I grab my ported 562XP with its 20" bar and full chisel chains. Vtwoodheater- If you cut big wood at times then go ahead and get one. You could get your 372XP ported and probably have to same power in a lighter saw too. I like ported saws, once you’ve run one your hooked.

yep, love my ported 390XP......and 346XP! Scott REALLY knows his stuff.