3M fire sealant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n3pro

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Would this be useable for stove pipe joints? I had been using furnace cement but it cracks and flakes off eventually. I stumbled upon this picking up caulking for windows. Sounds good BUT I miss things sometimes.

IMAG0787-1.jpg

http://www.shop3m.com/98040054565.h...ugh&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-fire-barrier-sealant

What type of Pipe is it? Single wall? Double wall?

I put a Clear High Temp RTV (latex), thats rated for 750° and it works great. But my Double wall never reaches surface temps of 750°……… Nowhere near that temp ;)

For Double wall something in the 500°-750° range should work. And the Silicone (not cement) are much more pliable and easy to remove (when needed).

Would this be useable for stove pipe joints? I had been using furnace cement but it cracks and flakes off eventually. I stumbled upon this picking up caulking for windows. Sounds good BUT I miss things sometimes.

View attachment 66495

http://www.shop3m.com/98040054565.h...ugh&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-fire-barrier-sealant
That product is a fire stop meant to prevent the spread of fire between sections of a building; it is designed to expand when heated to create an effective fire barrier at small penetrations between walls and floors. I don't think you want to use it in your application.

Jim

What type of Pipe is it? Single wall? Double wall?

I put a Clear High Temp RTV (latex), thats rated for 750° and it works great. But my Double wall never reaches surface temps of 750°……… Nowhere near that temp ;)

For Double wall something in the 500°-750° range should work. And the Silicone (not cement) are much more pliable and easy to remove (when needed).

Single wall.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.