3rd degree creosote, open hearth wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kmooiman12887

Nov 16, 2017
wilmington, ma
Hi, I have a noninsulated open hearth wood burning brick fireplace in a split level home. We just had our chimney swept and inspected and were told that we have severe 3rd degree creosote buildup and that it will cost $2,000 to have it chemically removed. They also suggested that we should have an additional air vent installed to help with our poor air flow problem which is what is causing the build up this would cost $600. We had our fireplace inspected 2 years ago and were told that we had no problems at that time. We have burned less than a 1/2 cord of seasoned dried wood over the course of 2 years. It seems as those this is extremely expensive and seems surprising that it built up so severely and so quickly. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Hi, I have a noninsulated open hearth wood burning brick fireplace in a split level home. We just had our chimney swept and inspected and were told that we have severe 3rd degree creosote buildup and that it will cost $2,000 to have it chemically removed. They also suggested that we should have an additional air vent installed to help with our poor air flow problem which is what is causing the build up this would cost $600. We had our fireplace inspected 2 years ago and were told that we had no problems at that time. We have burned less than a 1/2 cord of seasoned dried wood over the course of 2 years. It seems as those this is extremely expensive and seems surprising that it built up so severely and so quickly. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Trust yet verify. Inspect it yourself. Take your own photos and zoom in and look at them real good. Get a couple other prices and make sure they are certified.

If something doesn't seem right then figure out why it doesn't seem right.

If you can do it safely, don't be afraid to post some photos on here so we can take a look at it.

As far as price....I'm not sure if it's high or not. All areas of the country are different. And every chimney is different.

But for $600 I would take an hour an install the air vent myself.

I don't see how you can get such terrible creosote build up burning 1/2 cord of dry wood. Also, $600 for an outiside air intake is expensive.
Is the company with these high figures the same company that swept the chimney 2 years ago?

If you can get up top take a couple pictures looking down the chimney and post them up here.

Did they describe what exactly would be happening for 2g?

The $2000 seems very high. But the 600 may or may not be high depending on what they are going to do. If they are going to actually put in a fresh air supply large enough to supply a fireplace it probably isnt a bad price. But if they are just going to run a 4" duct it is high for sure.

It is possibly to get allot of buildup from only 1/2 cord but unlikely. But it is also very possibly the previous inspection was not good. Especially if it was from a home inspector not a sweep.