1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

4 Way wedge worth it?

Post in 'The Gear' started by nate379, Mar 15, 2013.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Bedford NH
    I didn't know that existed but I think about something like that every time I roll the log for the second split.
    For me, it seems pricey (frugal Yankee) but I am actually considering it now.
    Wonder how it handles larger rounds?
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Depends on the logs you're running. Small to medium stuff they can be handy but are a PITA if you get into some nasty or very large stuff. If everthing you split is under 18" diameter and fairly straight, it might work out well.
  4. Excavator

Excavator Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central NJ
    If you can slip it over single and remove when needed for large logs it is good.
    On mine, I welded the 4 way on the top splitter and the bottom splitter is for the nasty stuff
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Boog likes this.
  5. On mine (northstar) I havent taken the 4-way 'wings' off since I got them. Big improvement.
  6. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I really like mine, but on anything smaller than an 18" log it splits it unevenly. I think its 9" to the center.
    I'd like to find a self centering device that would raise a log so that the center would be in line with the horizontal part of the wedge.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It all depends upon what you are splitting. In addition, I like to split so we end up with more rectangular pieces or square pieces. Sure is better for packing the stove on those long cold winter nights. Also makes building the ends of the wood stacks much easier.
    MasterMech likes this.
  8. nate379

nate379 Guest

I try to have 1/2 rounds or triangle pieces.
  9. Flamestead

Flamestead Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Windsor County, Vermont
    I have the slip-on style 4-way for my Timberwolf, and like it a lot. The height is offset, so just flip it over to set it at a different height. I always run it at the higher height so I can halve smaller rounds underneath the "wings". I do lift the end of pieces to center it on the 4-way. For big rounds I find I prefer the single wedge. Often I'll split a bunch with the 4-way, sorting as I go, and then split for a while without it. Nice to be able to run at double speed whenever possible.
  10. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Timberwolf and Iron & Oak both offer hydraulically adjustable height 4 ways for their machines. We're talking $6-7K splitters now. ::-)
  11. CT-Mike

CT-Mike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New England
    I always used the 4-way on my TW2, and definitely recommend one. Cuts your splitting time in half. Additionally if you are splitting some big nasty rounds just take it off and halve them.
  12. Nixon

Nixon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Sunbury ,Pa.
    I'm with the others here that like their 4 ways . Makes for quicker processing as long as the wood is reasonably straight grained . Only takes a second to slip on ,or remove .
  13. nate379

nate379 Guest

Have it coming in. Was $100, figure WTH, give it a try. 28 ton splitter so I'm sure it will be do just fine. My 12 ton did fine... as well as the 5 ton.
  14. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    You will love it, my 27 ton does well with it. Just don't try and do knotty crotch crap pieces.

You will wonder why you hadn't got it before now.