43°, finding the driveway: It's "Black", pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Got to 43 today, windy & cloudy. I couldn't stay inside so I spent about 5 hours chipping ice & finding the driveway.
I had done some yesterday, it got to 40, but today many areas were loose enough to chip away.
We have liquid water :)
Some areas were 4" thick but I got it down to pavement on a big portion.
shaved the thick stuff down to about an inch.
Snow melting off the roofs.
Dry concrete by the shop.
I'm not predicting an early "break up", we'll get allot more winter.
But sure has been nice weather for the last few days & over 8-1/2 hours of daylight.
Granddaughter was even out shooting hoops :)

Attachments

• 100_7192.jpg
    100_7192.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 100_7194.jpg
    100_7194.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 398
  • 100_7199.jpg
    100_7199.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 388
I bet that was a sight for sore eyes. While your now in the tropics we're getting single digits tonight. Nice pics

Backwoods said:
I bet that was a sight for sore eyes. While your now in the tropics we're getting single digits tonight. Nice pics

Mom lives in Pitts area, She always says when it's cold there she knows in warm here.
She's right allot of the times.
Here we saw about a 60° temp increase -20 to +40
Fairbanks got to +30, & it was -50 not long ago.

Do you ever get back to pa ever? Was on a tv conference call mid last week with our other co in pittsburgh and inn the background out the window it was snowing, so we knew the white stuff was coming. Beautiful city

It must also be icicle season there Dave! I see we may get some more snow this week but several days above freezing too. Looks like the 40 degree days are done for a while now. Tis okay. March is very close now.

bogydave said:
Backwoods said:

Mom lives in Pitts area, She always says when it's cold there she knows in warm here.
She's right allot of the times.
Here we saw about a 60° temp increase -20 to +40
Fairbanks got to +30, & it was -50 not long ago.

Oh man I'd have such a migraine. That's crazy. And I was complaining about the 30ish degree change we had!

Backwoods said:
Do you ever get back to pa ever? Was on a tv conference call mid last week with our other co in pittsburgh and inn the background out the window it was snowing, so we knew the white stuff was coming. Beautiful city

Every few years we try to get a trip in. Not vacation when you go to visit family, but fun none the less.
I complain here about traffic, then when I get back east, I learn what traffic really is. Seattle is the same way though. LOL :lol:

40 again today, cloudy & 10 mph wind.
No sun poking true so not sure more ice on the driveway will melt.
Plan to haul in more spruce, heating with 30 nights & near 40 days don't use much wood. :)
Unless I spread out some sand, everything is slick ice. Still, it's nice out be outside in the warmth.

bogydave said:
Got to 43 today, windy & cloudy. I couldn't stay inside so I spent about 5 hours chipping ice & finding the driveway.
I had done some yesterday, it got to 40, but today many areas were loose enough to chip away.
We have liquid water :)
Some areas were 4" thick but I got it down to pavement on a big portion.
shaved the thick stuff down to about an inch.
Snow melting off the roofs.
Dry concrete by the shop.
I'm not predicting an early "break up", we'll get allot more winter.
But sure has been nice weather for the last few days & over 8-1/2 hours of daylight.
Granddaughter was even out shooting hoops :)

All ice here bogydave, I've been wearing the ice fishing spikes you pull on over your boots for over two months. The Feb. sun is strong with temps in the mid 30's last week so we are losing ice each day.

zap

I had 4-5" of water sitting in the driveway with it starting to come close to the front of the garage. Had to chisel a canal in the ice so it would drain.

Dave do you have a good place to get dirt? My truck is STILL at the body shop (got hit almost 2 months ago) but I can haul a bit in the car I guess.

The warm weather has been nice I guess but it's just making a mess out of everything cause I know we still have a good month at least until we get into springtime. I haven't had a fire in my stove for a couple days now. I got tired of opening windows cause it was getting too hot with even just a couple small splits.

NATE379 said:
I had 4-5" of water sitting in the driveway with it starting to come close to the front of the garage. Had to chisel a canal in the ice so it would drain.

Dave do you have a good place to get dirt? My truck is STILL at the body shop (got hit almost 2 months ago) but I can haul a bit in the car I guess.

The warm weather has been nice I guess but it's just making a mess out of everything cause I know we still have a good month at least until we get into springtime. I haven't had a fire in my stove for a couple days now. I got tired of opening windows cause it was getting too hot with even just a couple small splits.

My dirt pile is froze. I've been using kitty litter, & I had a few sand bags I cut open & have spread it around by the doorways & areas we need to walk.
I need to put a few buckets of sand on the fall "to do list" to have thawed in the shop for weather like this. :)
I did mix some sawdust & ice melt together & threw it out near the end of the driveway, it helped us be able to stop before we slid into the street.
Was able to chip more ice off yesterday, now the mist rain we just got put a glaze back on everything .

Attachments

• 100_7201.jpg
    100_7201.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 226
Odd, it was pouring rain at my house most of the day. Here in Anchorage it's snowing though.

Raining today. Got the driveway almost ice free.
36°, slight breeze.
Supposed to snow so not sure if the work was worth it, but got me outside & some exercise. :)

Attachments

• 100_7202.jpg
    100_7202.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 185
Mine still has a good 1-1.5" of ice/snow other than the first couple feet that I cleaned up. It's going to get cold again so I didn't get too carried away with it, not to mention my back can't handle too much forcing.

Started laughing at this morning's Driveway :lol: Fresh 2"

Attachments

• 100_7207.jpg
    100_7207.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 144
yep our temp raised 90 degrees in a little over 48 hours. went form -53 to +37 in less than 2 days. Has been in the teens for the most part with some new snow. Im not complaining now im back to reloading in the morning and evening.

Yeah about 2" of slush/slop. My snowblower didn't like it too much. Might be able to get the stove going again though, it's starting to get a bit colder again.

Status
Not open for further replies.