45 degree directly out of top venting stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbythesea

Nov 28, 2012
Southern Maine
Hi,

I'm getting things together to install a Harman tl200 in my basement. The chimney already exists and has a 6" thimble that is only 12" below the floor joists (from the top of the thimble). I'll be using double walled stove pipe. I'd like to so this as safely and efficiently as possible and have a question:

Assuming the measurements all work out, is there any reason I can't come out of the stove with a 45 degree elbow and then come out of the thimble with a 45 degree elbow and joint the two with a straight pipe? This seems like the best solution to me looking at it for a few reasons. First, it will actually move the pipe 14" from the nearest joist and 22" from the next one. A horizontal run that would be 12" from two joists. It also seems like it would flow better.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Could you come up a foot first then use elbows? When you come directly off with an elbow it could have negative effects on the draft. If you just get a little bit of straight run first then add the elbows that would be better. But maybe that wont work in your case.

It will move the stove out into the room a bit. If that is ok then it should work ok if the draft is good. Is the thimble connecting to a 6" chimney or liner? How many feet tall is the chimney?

Thanks for the responses. Going up a foot won't quite work because the stove will be "in" the wall. It's a low rafters and a low thimble - 54" to the center of the thimble, ~69" to the joists and 37" to the top of the stove vent. It's surrounded by masonry walls and I'd like it to be a corner type installation. After posting, I tried to figure where the stove will sit with the 45 elbows as described above and it will be a very good spot for it.

The chimney is 7" x 7" x 27' exterior clay lined masonry with Lot's of draft.

--Thanks Again.

I've put in a couple stoves where they had to have a 45 right off the stove. It's not ideal, but with decent draft it should be fine. That's a low ceiling. Will you be shielding the joists? If so, you could do a 90 instead. Actually with 12" clearance on double-wall you will be fine anyway. But a sheet of metal or cement board over the stove up to the wall would provide extra piece of mind.

I have a 45 right off the stove to a second 45 at the thimble. It is not a problem, but then again, I am also drafting through 34' of 6 inch SS pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.