45 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitterless

A 45 ton splitter is that possible . it is a home made.

Attachments

• 01030501040801160520080902e4469466bf4f198495003dd1.jpg
    01030501040801160520080902e4469466bf4f198495003dd1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 542
Absolutely. Hydraulics are a form of leverage, trading distance for force. Apply 1 ton over 10 inches and get 10 ton over 1 inch, that sort of thing. The limiting force is the pressure the hoses, pumps etc can take. Hydraulics go up to hundreds, probably thousands of tons. Log splitters are at the very low end of the hydraulics scale, so it would be easy for a handy and cluey hydraulics guy to get the right parts and build one.

easily possible, if the cylinder is large enough and the structure is strong enough. Just a matter of pressure times area.
6 inch cylinder at 3000 psi is 42 tons. 7 inch cylinder at 2500 psi is 48 tons.

It would be incredibly slow cycle though. 10-15 seconds just for the extend cycle.

question is why? anything requiring that tonnage probably can't be lifted up onto the beam. It would be run in a processor, or ripped in quarters first.

IMO there is way too much ego and emphasis on tonnage, and not enough speed. For wood lots and fixed wedge machines with log lifts and multi wedges, yes tons is important. For the average homeowner with moving wedge machine, and moving wood by hand, I think a 4 inch cylinder is plenty of power with reasonable speed.

k

splitterless said:
A 45 ton splitter is that possible . it is a home made.
Yes sir,mabe a old cat cylinder just a thought

kevin j said:
easily possible, if the cylinder is large enough and the structure is strong enough. Just a matter of pressure times area.

It would be incredibly slow cycle though. 10-15 seconds just for the extend cycle.

question is why? anything requiring that tonnage probably can't be lifted up onto the beam. It would be run in a processor, or ripped in quarters first.

IMO there is way too much ego and emphasis on tonnage, and not enough speed. For wood lots and fixed wedge machines with log lifts and multi wedges, yes tons is important. For the average homeowner with moving wedge machine, and moving wood by hand, I think a 4 inch cylinder is plenty of power with reasonable speed.

k

Precisely. My little Timberwolf (20t theoretical, 16t in reality) is plenty strong enough for damned near anything I care to split and burn!

And the picture, which is pretty poor, certainly doesn't look like the beam or wedge are of adequate strength to handle 45t of force without bending, breaking, or hurting the operator.

computeruser said:
kevin j said:

k

Precisely. My little Timberwolf (20t theoretical, 16t in reality) is plenty strong enough for damned near anything I care to split and burn!

And the picture, which is pretty poor, certainly doesn't look like the beam or wedge are of adequate strength to handle 45t of force without bending, breaking, or hurting the operator.
The wood will bend or brake frist

computeruser said:
kevin j said:

k

Exactly. My 20 ton Timberwolf will also go through anything. Even really nasty knotty elm and rock maple.

Well, ya just never know when ya might wanna split a engine block.

Status
Not open for further replies.