Eastonmade vs Timberwolf?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marshy

Minister of Fire
Dec 29, 2016
NY
I've been considering a new high volume splitter, specifically a box wedge design. I'd really like to take possession this year and Timberwolf has both a used Alpha 5 and Alpha 6 available for sale. Easonmade is made to order and not sure the lead time. There's tons of videos of the Easonmade splitters and not as much of the Timberwolf Alpha's. Just judging on the videos it looks like the Easonmade has a better work position. I also think they might have a better box wedge but not entirely sure.

Does anyone have either of these splitters with a box wedge and can you share some things you like or dislike? There's not many posts about either of these splitters so maybe this is the Wong forum to ask, IDK. Thanks.

I have never been around a Easonmade. A few years ago had a buddy get hurt so I took another buddy and we drove 400 miles to split wood for a week to get the injured buddy's wood ready for the season. He has a Timberwolf TW6. The working height was way too short for my self and the buddy that went to help. Both of us are about six foot tall. My back was shot after a week of splitting. My homebuilt units are tall enough I can stand up straight and run them. I have log lifts so height of the beam is no problem. I guess I would go with a Eastonmade as I could have the working height custom to me.

Reactions: sloeffle
Never used a Timberwolf but have used an Easton-made. The main
reason is that they are built in Perth Ontario and the young lad lives on the next concession
If I were in the market I love to have one. perfect height for me and had a log lift. The one he
brought over for me to try had a box splitter on it made fast and easy work of a cord of American elm
maple, ironwood and Oak never even slowed it down. More than impressed. All units are hand-built in Perth Ontario
To order. Sometimes he has units in stock

Not your normal splitters unless you’re in the wood business I guess, from what I just saw of them, wow! What’s a typical Eastonmade with a say… 8 way wedge go for Anyways?

What’s a typical Eastonmade with a say… 8 way wedge go for Anyways?
Homeowner-style splitters from Easton made with prices in Canadian Dollars

I'd caution you on eastonmade - they do not stand behind their engines. Received a splitter from them - ran terrible right off the truck. They told me it was a warranty issue for briggs and stratton and said to find a dealer and get them to try and cover it under warranty. Alot of people have good luck with easton - but if their is an issue, it appears they are quick to hang you out and not offer any support at all. Pretty disappointed to spend this kind of money on a splitter and have them basically say too bad - good luck getting it fixed.

I am just curious! What kind of support do you expect from Andrew at Eastonmade?
The engine is warranted by Briggs, not Eastonmade. Find a dealer and have them repair it.
I know it is disappointing when something new does not operate the way it should.
Maybe you should pack it and ship it back .
Welcome to the forum

I am just curious! What kind of support do you expect from Andrew at Eastonmade?
The engine is warranted by Briggs, not Eastonmade. Find a dealer and have them repair it.
I know it is disappointing when something new does not operate the way it should.
Maybe you should pack it and ship it back .
Welcome to the forum
Was simply providing my experience - didn't mean to offend you. I don't expect anything from Andrew - I assume he has service staff. Although you seem more well versed in their operation than me so I guess maybe he is a one man show, I don't know. With regard to your curiosity! I would expect a minimum level of quality control so that the splitter would operate as it should when it's delivered. If that is not the case - I'd expect the company that let it leave their facility in that condition to stand behind it. That might be arranging repair, filing a claim with delivery company, whatever avenue they might choose. To be completely clear for you - I'd expect the item to be operational when it's delivered, and if it's not - I'd expect the manufacturer to do what is necessary to make it right.

Have a great day!

Was simply providing my experience - didn't mean to offend you. I don't expect anything from Andrew - I assume he has service staff. Although you seem more well versed in their operation than me so I guess maybe he is a one man show, I don't know. With regard to your curiosity! I would expect a minimum level of quality control so that the splitter would operate as it should when it's delivered. If that is not the case - I'd expect the company that let it leave their facility in that condition to stand behind it. That might be arranging repair, filing a claim with delivery company, whatever avenue they might choose. To be completely clear for you - I'd expect the item to be operational when it's delivered, and if it's not - I'd expect the manufacturer to do what is necessary to make it right.

Have a great day!
I'll be in Perth today and I will stop in and see Andrew.
I want to see and hear first-hand what he thinks
It is not like the way Bell Machining operates (Parent Company)
I'm not offended by your comments. I watched Andrew grow up with my youngest
and have not run across any complaints like yours
Like I said just curious.

I'll be in Perth today and I will stop in and see Andrew.
I want to see and hear first-hand what he thinks
It is not like the way Bell Machining operates (Parent Company)
I'm not offended by your comments. I watched Andrew grow up with my youngest
and have not run across any complaints like yours
Like I said just curious.
You seem to be taking this very personally - I am not sure how else to satisfy your curiosity as it relates to my expectations. You stated you were curious what kind of support I expected - I think I've pretty clearly laid that out.

Eastonmade's position is they don't stand behind the engines - that is their prerogative. It doesn't make anyone at eastonmade a bad person and I haven't said anything of the sort- it's how they choose to operate.

I'm not sure what this means "It is not like the way Bell Machining operates (Parent Company)" - so maybe I am just missing something that you are getting at. Best of luck finding answers to whatever else you are curious about.

Enjoy your time with your child's friend - Have a great day!

I'd caution you on eastonmade - they do not stand behind their engines. Received a splitter from them - ran terrible right off the truck. They told me it was a warranty issue for briggs and stratton and said to find a dealer and get them to try and cover it under warranty. Alot of people have good luck with easton - but if their is an issue, it appears they are quick to hang you out and not offer any support at all. Pretty disappointed to spend this kind of money on a splitter and have them basically say too bad - good luck getting it fixed.
My thought is if a manufacture is using a another party's engine they should help with getting the engine repaired or replaced. I went threw this with a seed tender a few years back. Tender showed up late right when we needed it the most. Had already sold my old one. 20 HP EFI Honda. Didn't like to start or stay running. Tender company told me to find a Honda repair company. Good luck finding some one to work on a engine they didn't sell. Finally found a shop hundred miles away that would work on it. They threw parts at it and couldn't get it fixed. I had to rent a tender to get planting done. In the end the tender company made it right and just showed up with a brand new tender with some up grades and a diesel engine. Mine went back to the factory. It took a lot of phones calls and unhappiness to get this straighten out. By the time this was done and over I wish I would have just kept my old tender and been done with it.

Reactions: sloeffle
I won’t be getting an Easton Made splitter, I just don‘t use that much wood here in my small rural home but they are interesting to see in action. As for the engine, maybe the splitter maker could have a relationship with someone from Briggs that he could lean on and get something going for those that have engine problems. Too bad you had those oains with your new splitter!

Reactions: alnapa147
I’ve lusted after an Eastonmade Ultra splitter for a while. They come with a Briggs engine but I thought there was an upgrade to a Honda. I would take the Honda….

I would think if the splitter arrived brand new with an engine problem they should ship a new engine to replace the faulty one.

If it’s an issue that’s comes up after some time of ownership I would expect the engine manufacturer to cover it. Assuming there is some kind of warranty on it.

If a brand new machine had a faulty valve or leaking hydro tank I would expect the company to make good on that. Same goes for an engine or tires, etc
Just my opinion.

Reactions: Osage and warbonnet
They sold you a brand new unit that has a faulty engine. Unless there is something in fine print the manufacturer of the equipment should 100% take care of it, not lay it in the lap of the consumer to chase down the engine manufacturer.

Reactions: anno Domini
Update on the engine after loading up the splitter and hauling to a Briggs dealer - there was metal in the carb that was causing pluggage issues. Dealer was great to deal with and fixed the issue for me on a warranty repair that they submitted to Briggs. Outstanding customer service by the dealer to say the least. Unfortunately when he was testing it after repair - he noted a significant hydraulic leak from the cylinder seal and quite a bit of “scoring” on the cylinder itself. I contacted eastonmade and was told there must be metal in the hydraulic tank. Said they will send a cylinder that I’m supposed to change as well as the filter. Drain and change all hydraulic fluid before operating after I make all the repairs. If I submit the receipts for the cost of the hydraulic fluid - they will reimburse me for that. This has been a very disappointing experience.

Good on the Briggs dealer for making that right at least. It sucks you’re still having problems with the splitter though.