4in of sand under my hearth... is this expected?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ZaediLady

Jan 18, 2021
Wa
I'm a bit of an amateur do-it-yourselfer and thought I'd tackle my hearth with a quick retile today. Should have remembered that nothing is ever quick or done in one day..

Once I removed the first layer of tiles, there was a second layer underneath. "Alright, let's just clear them all out and start fresh!" Well under those is about 4in of sand and small rocks that I was not expecting.

Both layers of tiles were uneven and broken, so I'm guessing this sand is the culprit.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get a trusty solid layer to tile on top of? One forum mentioned using a layer of self leveling concrete. Would that work?

Any and all recommendations welcome! Thanks!

I'd go ahead and get all tiles and sand out of there so you can verify what the floor is underneath. Post some pics and I bet you will get a lot of ideas on repair.

I'm a bit of an amateur do-it-yourselfer and thought I'd tackle my hearth with a quick retile today. Should have remembered that nothing is ever quick or done in one day..

Once I removed the first layer of tiles, there was a second layer underneath. "Alright, let's just clear them all out and start fresh!" Well under those is about 4in of sand and small rocks that I was not expecting.

Both layers of tiles were uneven and broken, so I'm guessing this sand is the culprit.

Does anyone have an idea on how to get a trusty solid layer to tile on top of? One forum mentioned using a layer of self leveling concrete. Would that work?

Any and all recommendations welcome! Thanks!

It is not uncommon. But you need to know what is under there to determine a course of action

Thanks for the replies! I removed all of the sand and rock and there is a layer of concrete underneath. It's very uneven but looks like it's in good shape.

I'm thinking of pouring light weight cement over it to get an even layer and build it up to the hight I want. Do you think that's a good approach or have any other suggestions?
Thank you!

Thanks for the replies! I removed all of the sand and rock and there is a layer of concrete underneath. It's very uneven but looks like it's in good shape.

I'm thinking of pouring light weight cement over it to get an even layer and build it up to the hight I want. Do you think that's a good approach or have any other suggestions?
Thank you!

What is under the concrete?