5.5" x 27' liner with Buck Model 81?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 29, 2021
VA, east central
Anybody running, or tried to run a Buck Model 81 with a 5.5" liner over 25' long? The manual states not to go under 6", but I very well could run into issues if I tried running a 6", especially if I use insulation, even 1/4", which I'd like to use. My flue is 6.5" x 11" and I can see in places where the mortar has squeezed out a little when the flue was stacked. Not to mention the top flue section is malformed, the lower section measures around 6.25.
I will be switching over to a pellet stove soon, but I'd like the option of putting the buck back into place should I ever run into supply issues w/ pellets.

Another option would be to use a 6" insulated oval liner.

Anybody running, or tried to run a Buck Model 81 with a 5.5" liner over 25' long? The manual states not to go under 6", but I very well could run into issues if I tried running a 6", especially if I use insulation, even 1/4", which I'd like to use. My flue is 6.5" x 11" and I can see in places where the mortar has squeezed out a little when the flue was stacked. Not to mention the top flue section is malformed, the lower section measures around 6.25.
I will be switching over to a pellet stove soon, but I'd like the option of putting the buck back into place should I ever run into supply issues w/ pellets.
5.5 insulated won't fit in there either. Use oval.

Thanks all. I'll have to check that out, hopefully they aren't much more $$. I've not really seen them in my initial browsing.
They are more but the only other option is removing the old clay liners which is even more