Small Flue / Large Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DomeHomer

Hi All,
Just purchased a home with an old XTEC (High Valley) 2500 that needs to be replaced. The clay flue in the chimney is cracked also. In looking at replacing I’m running into some issues I would appreciate your input on.

WHAT I’m working with;
Chimney/Flue – The stove has an 8”vertical single wall flue connected to the chimney approx. 10’ from the floor. The current clay flue within that concrete block column is 7” x 11” and +/- ¾”thick. It runs down below the stove/hearth where the clean out is located.
Stove - The XTEC 2500 specs out at 12-15 hrs. burn time / 3.5 cu/ft firebox / 55,000 BTU’s / 2,500 Sq Ft/ 8” Flue / 300 cfm blower and is large at 35.5” W x 26.5”D .
Hearth – 14” raised stone. Clearance isn’t an issue.

WHERE It’s located;
Southern Indiana, just north of Louisville, Ky so winters aren’t “harsh”. The house is a 48’ diameter geodesic dome with about 35% of the first floor fully open (24 ft max ceiling). The stove is located in this room. There is a fresh air duct that terminates directly under the stove. There is an extra duct, with a fan, running parallel to the chimney to move warm air from the top of the house, back down to the ground floor and push it towards the single story part of the main floor.

Questions / Concerns;
Removing the liner in the chimney will only give me 8.5”. Too small for an 8” double wall which appears to run 9” plus in diameter. Does that mean I’m limited to a 6” flue stove? Any options to maintain an 8” flue size stove?
Size – I’m concerned that a smaller stove will look out of place, so suggestions on a replacement are welcome. I’ve had the Buck 61 and the Lopi Liberty suggested as possible 6” models. The current stove has been the primary heat source since the beginning so a similar output capacity should be fine.

Drawing below indicates the placement of the chimney (X), the stove (WS), and the vaulted ceiling part of the first floor (purple line). The "office" is closed off on the first floor, but the second floor area above it is also open to the living room.

Thanks in advance for your input

PXL_20230908_124000779[1].jpg PXL_20230908_131101612[1].jpg

Nice house! I like living in the round, but have only stayed or visited a few homes like this. The first was a Frank Lloyd Wright home.

There are only a few stoves that now take an 8" flue. An equivalent stove with a large firebox like the Lopi Liberty or the Osburn 3500 both take a 6" flue.
A replacement chimney liner gets insulated and can be ovalized to fit the current flue. Some liners, like DuraLiner, are preinsulated.

There are plenty of stoves that use 6" liners that would fit just fine in that space. That's what i'd focus on as your options will be much greater.

Very cool house indeed. Round homes are very neat and truly are a more pleasing shape. The problem usually is furniture is not made for this shape. I agree with others, there are plenty of stoves that use 6” flue and few with 8”. A number of the stoves that support 6” will provide a lot of heat.

very nice arrangement. nice location of the stove to heat the upstairs too. I looked into a Blaze King King long ago more for burn time duration but it was an 8" flu and i had a 6 in place and its not recommended to reduce from 8 to 6.

Found this to remove tile in chimney:

Reactions: cygnus
Thats like a sooteater with a morning star attached to it

It most certainly could. I also wonder (not a structural engineer), does the removal of the clay tile liner weaken the overall chimney? Meaning, does it reduce the structural integrity?

BKVP

It most certainly could. I also wonder (not a structural engineer), does the removal of the clay tile liner weaken the overall chimney? Meaning, does it reduce the structural integrity?

BKVP
If the chimney is built correctly no it doesn't.