High Mountain Stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks again for your input this far. Update we are getting install quotes for 3 primary brand options:

Lopi (likely the Endeavor)
Blaze King (likely Ashford 20.2)
Kuma (Aspen/Tamarack unless larger 250 line better)

Ultimately my wife and I want to take advantage of the available tax credit and efficiencies of these stoves. And having reputable shops with installers.

Any additional thoughts between these options? Two are hybrid stoves and one is a cat stove.

From the input thus far I get the impression that the hybrids may be better? As for sizing, the only one I think may be up for debate are the Kuma 180 vs 250 sizes.

Lopi Endeavor and Evergreen appear to have almost identical outputs from different sized boxes and we like the step top.

As for the BK, I just think a 30.2 may be too big.

Thanks again!

Regarding the BK, the low output of the stoves doesn't differ much between the 20 and 30; it is the "fuel tank" that has a different size.

If the physical size of the stove is an issue get the smaller one indeed. If not, I'd get the larger one.

Reactions: BKVP and TheJohnse
Latest update. Lopi is out as local shop won't install it at our house due to risk factor with steep pitched metal roof. Waiting for install / total cost quotes on the Blaze King (now leaning Ashford 30.2) from one shop and the Kuma Aspen/Ashwood from another.

It's become a fingers crossed situation on the willingness of the other two places to install. Didn't figure that could throw a wrench in the whole plan.

I'm in Colorado Springs, so a bit lower elevation but similar general climate dynamics. I have a few thoughts, but keep in mind that I don't really know what I'm talking about. However, I'm going through my own stove selection process for a new build right at the base of the foothills, and I've picked up a few ideas that seem to make sense to me:

1. I think you likely have a relatively high heating load due to the surface area of windows and roof. I also suspect that, given your vaulted ceiling with no attic, you don't have a huge r-value above. You obviously have big solar gain during the day with your wall of south-facing windows, so my guess is you will have a lot of days where your primary heating needs are evening/night/morning with none during mid-day and afternoon. Because of that, I think the long burn times of something like a Blaze King might not be the best fit, or at least the value of such a burn time greatly diminishes (you can obviously run a BK hotter for shorter). I might lean toward a hybrid instead of a full cat. A lot people just don't realize how diurnal (hot days, cold nights) our climate is, and at 9k ft, your solar gain during the day with that wall of windows will probably leave you with zero desire to have a stove running on a lot of winter afternoons.

2. I would be surprised if the sub-2 cu. ft. fireboxes are enough for you. I think your heat loss out the windows and through the ceiling will be too much for a stove of that size to give you overnight burns at a level you're happy with. Keep in mind that you're heating cubic feet, not square feet.

3. As someone else mentioned, at 9k elevation, you'll probably need close to a 20' chimney. It looks like you should be able to hit that without a problem.

I'm probably not the best guy to recommend specific stoves, but with your ability to provide a sufficient chimney for ample draw, I think there are a few Hearthstone stoves I'd consider (including some with Soapstone).

I've found the folks at Fireplace Warehouse (BK and Regency), Western Fireplace (Lopi) and Fireplace Doctor (Hearthstone) to be very helpful.

Last edited:
That ^^ (both chimney and heating needs).

Latest update. Lopi is out as local shop won't install it at our house due to risk factor with steep pitched metal roof. Waiting for install / total cost quotes on the Blaze King (now leaning Ashford 30.2) from one shop and the Kuma Aspen/Ashwood from another.

It's become a fingers crossed situation on the willingness of the other two places to install. Didn't figure that could throw a wrench in the whole plan.
There are safe ways to work on steep, slippery roofs. Obviously. Sounds like some places that profess to install chimneys are not very motivated. Or perhaps very competent.. That's an easy install with proper and not exceptionally unusual equipment. I only mention this so that you don't think it's not and someone gets carried away with explaining the extraordinary difficulty there ($$$). There's definately extra work involved with access, but not extraordinary work.

Good luck!

Don't overlook the drolet products just because they are relatively inexpensive. Have a look at least. You will be pleasantly surprised. And they are available online through a few sources with free or inexpensive delivery.

And as has been said here more than once, don't undersize your stove. Get a pretty big one. You have a great deal of cubic feet there.

Reactions: TheJohnse
I'm in Colorado Springs, so a bit lower elevation but similar general climate dynamics. I have a few thoughts, but keep in mind that I don't really know what I'm talking about. However, I'm going through my own stove selection process for a new build right at the base of the foothills, and I've picked up a few ideas that seem to make sense to me:

1. I think you likely have a relatively high heating load due to the surface area of windows and roof. I also suspect that, given your vaulted ceiling with no attic, you don't have a huge r-value above. You obviously have big solar gain during the day with your wall of south-facing windows, so my guess is you will have a lot of days where your primary heating needs are evening/night/morning with none during mid-day and afternoon. Because of that, I think the long burn times of something like a Blaze King might not be the best fit, or at least the value of such a burn time greatly diminishes (you can obviously run a BK hotter for shorter). I might lean toward a hybrid instead of a full cat. A lot people just don't realize how diurnal (hot days, cold nights) our climate is, and at 9k ft, your solar gain during the day with that wall of windows will probably leave you with zero desire to have a stove running on a lot of winter afternoons.

2. I would be surprised if the sub-2 cu. ft. fireboxes are enough for you. I think your heat loss out the windows and through the ceiling will be too much for a stove of that size to give you overnight burns at a level you're happy with. Keep in mind that you're heating cubic feet, not square feet.

3. As someone else mentioned, at 9k elevation, you'll probably need close to a 20' chimney. It looks like you should be able to hit that without a problem.

I'm probably not the best guy to recommend specific stoves, but with your ability to provide a sufficient chimney for ample draw, I think there are a few Hearthstone stoves I'd consider (including some with Soapstone).

I've found the folks at Fireplace Warehouse (BK and Regency), Western Fireplace (Lopi) and Fireplace Doctor (Hearthstone) to be very helpful.
Thanks. Good points

There are safe ways to work on steep, slippery roofs. Obviously. Sounds like some places that profess to install chimneys are not very motivated. Or perhaps very competent.. That's an easy install with proper and not exceptionally unusual equipment. I only mention this so that you don't think it's not and someone gets carried away with explaining the extraordinary difficulty there ($$$). There's definately extra work involved with access, but not extraordinary work.

Good luck!

Don't overlook the drolet products just because they are relatively inexpensive. Have a look at least. You will be pleasantly surprised. And they are available online through a few sources with free or inexpensive delivery.

And as has been said here more than once, don't undersize your stove. Get a pretty big one. You have a great deal of cubic feet there.
Yeah it was a bit surprising to be turned down because that shop has a good reputation and service.

And yes at this point I think we are between the BK Ashford 30 and the Kuma Ashwood. Both are bigger stoves for more heat and longer burns for cold days and overnights.

I like what I’ve heard about Drolet and Osborn. Issue up here is finding an independent installer. Only response I’ve gotten so far is from a guy that has a rep for ripping people off.

Anyway thanks for the input

Reactions: Newbie78
Yeah it was a bit surprising to be turned down because that shop has a good reputation and service.

And yes at this point I think we are between the BK Ashford 30 and the Kuma Ashwood. Both are bigger stoves for more heat and longer burns for cold days and overnights.

I like what I’ve heard about Drolet and Osborn. Issue up here is finding an independent installer. Only response I’ve gotten so far is from a guy that has a rep for ripping people off.

Anyway thanks for the input

Have you tried finding local sweeps to do the install? Couple hits on the csia search.

Have you tried finding local sweeps to do the install? Couple hits on the csia search.

I did yes. Unfortunately the one response was not reputable. It’s a bummer. Initially I was looking at a Woodstock Soapstone option.

Oh well. Got a quote on the Kuma. Waiting for one for the BK. But most folks seem to lean towards the hybrid in my case.

Like many on here, I would do that install myself.

Rent scaffold for the inside work. A couple of ladders laying on the roof and tied over the ridge to the ground provides solid roof access. If that's not comfortable, then renting a lift for a few hours would do it.

I am somewhat shocked that a so-called stove/chimney installer would deem that project unsafe. Professional workers-on-roof. Right. Unbelievable to me. Cherry pickers grasping the low fruit and the easy money, I'd say.

Presently, I'm dealing with the same sort of attitude from my internet provider who wants to change us over to a satellite dish from a ground-based service and don't want to remove their existing antenna from the peak of my roof, which is a similar roof to yours. I might just change companies and take that equipment off the roof myself, which is a pita but easily doable with some rigging. And most of a day of my life in the end..