Need advice on which wood stove to buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lvmyfire

Feb 23, 2024
Tennessee
Hi! I am a 70 year-old nurse who lives in a subdivision (past two years) but who loves a wood fire. For 30 years, I lived in the NC mtns and heated with Mama Bear. When I moved to TN foothills, I lived in a home with a Jotul F3 CB not for primary heat but for comfort fires. Two years ago I bought a home in an older subdivision thinking that it would be good to have people around as I get older, but I am missing having a wood fire and have rented a cabin with a wood stove each winter to ease my soul :). I have decided to install a wood stove in my 1970, 3-level, 1668sq ft home. Main level is open living area, kitchen and dining- 560sqft; upper level bedrooms and bath-746sqft; lower level den and laundry- 362sqft. with wood floors throughout. I must use a certified installer per homeowners insurance specifications with 2 options available in my area. One sells Pacific Energy exclusively; the other sells Osburn, Vermont Castings, Jotul. Must be EPA certified. Either installer will allow me to choose a different brand stove. I currently use electric heat and will continue to use this as primary, but I look forward to being able to close off rooms that I don't use and heat others with wood at times. I am mainly interested in a large glass viewing area and having a place to watch the fire, be cozy and get warm! I'm pretty good at starting fires and adusting damper, etc. Of course, I don't want to worry about a house fire, and I am very active, still working some and going places lots. I have been looking at Drolet Columbia II, Pacific Energy Vista, Osburn 1700. I would very much appreciate any discussion from you! My budget is not huge, but this is one of my main purchase priorities. Thanks so much!

Reactions: anno Domini
Of those three you mentioned they are all decent stoves. Drolet and Osbon are made by the same company and have very few differences between similar models. (Some just add trim pieces and change the baffle material). I have a Jotul and a Drolet. Both heat fine and have good fire view. Jotul looks much nicer and Drolet is much cheaper.

Look at the true North stoves. If you want a splurge the Pacific energy T series is a great stove.

How big is room the stove is going in and how is connected to the rest of the house?

Thanks for your reply. The wood stove is going into a corner on main level ( 560 sq ft) outside wall with pipe going up through ceiling crawl space. stairs go up to upper level and down to lower level on opposite side of room. I will look at True North. Is the baffle material a big deal?

Thanks for your reply. The wood stove is going into a corner on main level ( 560 sq ft) outside wall with pipe going up through ceiling crawl space. stairs go up to upper level and down to lower level on opposite side of room. I will look at True North. Is the baffle material a big deal?
Top end stove like Pacific energy have stainless steel, then next step down is a castable refractory next step down is vermiculite. Most to least durable and expensive.

stainless will last the life of the stove others can be seen as a wear item. Based on how carefully you treat it the other two can last a long time or break the first time you clean the stove if you are not careful.

I would look at the drolet escape 1800,it's a little bigger than the Columbia 2,reasonably-priced