Advice on replacement wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SJFam

Feb 25, 2024
Ct
We had a Hearthstone Clydesdale installed 2 months ago. Takes over an hour to get a hot fire going. Have uses all recommendations inc. using wood meter to ensure hardwood is dry, cracking window to increase draft, using top down fire starting method, etc. Glass will not stay clean or clear with established fire. Final straw was when top hinge of door broke away with the fire going. Very scary since the dealer previously worked on this hinge.

Dealer has agreed to pull unit and replace. They also sell Regency, Fire King, Osburn and Napoleon. I preferred the cast iron inserts but really need some solid advice. I am seeing some really bad reviews for the cat models made by Regency. Are there any solid non-cat inserts that qualify for the tax credit or reliable cat versions in the above brands? I would appreciate ant and all advice. This is for a ranch home approx 1400 sq. ft. In CT as major heat source. TYIA.

A few questions to ascertain the current situation. Both because it might help, and because it'll get you better advice on what other insert might work - if that is the way to go.

How did you measure the moisture content. Detailed, step by step?

How tall is the chimney, and how is it set up? (Diameter, liner or not etc.)

A prong type moisture meter was used with I would being well under the 20% threshold.

We have a brick chimney, approximately 20 feet high with a flexible liner and cap installed by the dealer to meet the dealer specifications.

The dealer came out and determined that we are doing everything correctly that is why they have said they will replace the stove with one of our choosing. I need advice on what to replace it with.

From that list regency or Osborn. I’m partial to non cat stoves. If I could choose any thing cast iron I like the T5 from Pacific Energy

The dealer came out and determined that we are doing everything correctly that is why they have said they will replace the stove with one of our choosing. I need advice on what to replace it with.
Ok, but with the wet wood you will have the same problems with the new stove. Why not just resplit a piece of wood and check the actual moisture content of your wood?

All was good says the installer. Yet something does not work. Something is inconsistent there.

What is the chimney height (and diameter)?

All was good says the installer. Yet something does not work. Something is inconsistent there.

What is the chimney height (and diameter)?
This is what he’s working with….. dealer is taking t back…. How often does that happen?

IMG_9732.png

I agree, seems nice.
It's not clear though that it's the stove that's wrong.

The hinge is bad, of course.
But "cracking window to increase draft, using top down fire starting method, etc. Glass will not stay clean or clear with established fire. " suggests the *system* (read chimney) or the fuel is not good.
The OP says he resplit a piece and measured on the freshly exposed surface (I hope this was with a piece of wood already at room temp, the pins deeply in, and along the grain). If that's all done correctly, that means that it's either the stove or the chimney.

Have we seen this insert have a history of these problems?
If not, that points to the system not working - hence my question regarding the installer, who put this insert in that place.

I mean, if the wood is dry, the window is cracked, but it doesn't burn properly ...

I agree, seems nice.
It's not clear though that it's the stove that's wrong.

The hinge is bad, of course.
But "cracking window to increase draft, using top down fire starting method, etc. Glass will not stay clean or clear with established fire. " suggests the *system* (read chimney) or the fuel is not good.
The OP says he resplit a piece and measured on the freshly exposed surface (I hope this was with a piece of wood already at room temp, the pins deeply in, and along the grain). If that's all done correctly, that means that it's either the stove or the chimney.

Have we seen this insert have a history of these problems?
If not, that points to the system not working - hence my question regarding the installer, who put this insert in that place.

I mean, if the wood is dry, the window is cracked, but it doesn't burn properly ...
New design with two off center cats can’t be helping.

The chimney is brick on exterior of house 20’ approx. with clay liner and 6” flexible liner with cap installed by dealer. I agree that something isn’t right here. We split the wood and checked moisture content when the dealer rep. was at house so not wet wood issue. There was another post regarding the Clydesdale with many of same problems we experienced which I wish I saw prior to purchasing. Is it possible something may be askew with the liner, bent or kinked? Or do we have a lemon? I really don’t know if we should take another chance with a Hearthstone insert. They are dealers for Regency, Osburn, Blaze King and Napoleon.
Any additional advice on a replacement?

Reactions: stoveliker
The chimney is brick on exterior of house 20’ approx. with clay liner and 6” flexible liner with cap installed by dealer. I agree that something isn’t right here. We split the wood and checked moisture content when the dealer rep. was at house so not wet wood issue. There was another post regarding the Clydesdale with many of same problems we experienced which I wish I saw prior to purchasing. Is it possible something may be askew with the liner, bent or kinked? Or do we have a lemon? I really don’t know if we should take another chance with a Hearthstone insert. They are dealers for Regency, Osburn, Blaze King and Napoleon.
Any additional advice on a replacement?
Cat or non cat? Do you want the tax credit?

Cat or non cat? Do you want the tax credit?
I think having an insert that is reliable and fairly easy to operate might be the higher priority. Would love the tax credit but am open to the non cats. I want quality and reliability.

Unless the liner is linked all the way closed, a slight dent should not give the trouble you have,. especially when it's 20 ft tall.

New insert it is.
I know the first three of your brand list are good quality stoves. The Napoleon others would have to say.

The Regency i2450 or the Osburn 2000i are decent non-cats. If you want a cast iron front, the Regency is sold under the Hampton name as the Hi2450.

Reactions: EbS-P
Thank you for that info. Any advice on cat inserts?
For a pure cat with a cast iron front, the BK Ashford insert is one to consider. In hybrids, the Hampton Hi500.

The Regency i2500 is the Regency i2450 with a Cat added which makes it eligible for the tax credit. I have not found the Cat to offer much so I have mainly stopped using it but the stove works great as a non Cat and I got the tax credit.

Thank you for the suggestions. We are being told those are too large. I guess the Clydesdale has more flexibility with smaller fireplaces as ours slopes in the back. We had chosen the Osburn Matrix and that won’t work.

Yes, a sloped back can change the options. The best place to start is with full dimensions, otherwise it's a waste of time. What are they recommending?