5-6 month Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raygt89

Sep 25, 2013
Hey guys this is my first post so be gentle on me. I buy log length wood and process it myself for burning every year. This year I was a bit late on getting my loads but my first load was mostly maple, ash and some cherry. This was about 2.5 cords and I'm not too concerned about burning that. With that said I went to another supplier for the 2nd load and I have just about 95% oak. My plan is to not burn this until late January or very early February of 2016 by that time the new load of oak wood (4 cords) will have sat outside for about 4 months or so then inside near the operating wood stove in the basement for 2 more months with a fan and duct from the stove blowing on the stack. I did not realize how much oak i would be getting and I did not do my home work before buying. Does anyone have experience buring oak that is only seasoned for 5-6 months?

You will be sadly disappointed when it comes time to burn the oak. Its gonna be like trying to keep wet rolled up newspaper burning.

I agree with Jags here. I was testing out some 9 month old oak last year just for giggles and while it would burn it put out very little heat and would mostly just coal up after 45 minutes of shooting steam and bubbling water.

Prepare for frustration & sadness of wasting a truly great wood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Just for reference last year I tried a load of 2 year oak, stacked single row, top covered, not much sun but plenty of airflow. Pieces ranged from 20-25% and it burned "okay". Looking forward to it this year.

I brought some Oak in last year accidentally and tried to burn it. It was seasoned for around 18 months. It simply wouldn't keep a flame. Instead of bringing it back outside, I stacked it about 20" from the wood stove and rotated the pieces once or twice a day. A week later it was at 16% MC and burnt like a dream. So I suppose it would be possible to season it enough if the stove room gets hot enough, but I doubt it. In my case I was only trying to get 15 pieces dry - Sounds like you're looking to get 2 cord ready. Have you looked into the bio bricks? Would be a good option to mix with your other wood - not the oak.

I brought some Oak in last year accidentally and tried to burn it. It was seasoned for around 18 months. It simply wouldn't keep a flame. Instead of bringing it back outside, I stacked it about 20" from the wood stove and rotated the pieces once or twice a day. A week later it was at 16% MC and burnt like a dream. So I suppose it would be possible to season it enough if the stove room gets hot enough, but I doubt it. In my case I was only trying to get 15 pieces dry - Sounds like you're looking to get 2 cord ready. Have you looked into the bio bricks? Would be a good option to mix with your other wood - not the oak.

Thanks. Yes it is about 2 cords at a time total of 4. My wood sits outside until the very beginning of winter then i throw it down in the basement ( I know a big no no but that is what i do). Eitherway i agree I think im going to have a heck of a time trying to burn that wood in early 2016 just from everyhting im reading on this site about oak.

My new plan is to get a hold of my old supplier and get more maple, ash and cherry to burn during the months I was going to burn the oak. I will probably look into Bio bricks also to mix in. I used those last year just to try and they did work well. I will burn the oak in Jan of 2017 not a full 2 years but that should be long enough to get it resonable.

At least I'm going to be about a year ahead for once even though my wood budget this year is getting close to oil prices!

2 years may or may not do it according to where you live and how you stack it. I live in the south and can burn it in 2 but don't be surprised if it's not ready in 2017.

I am an oak burner myself and have been in your situation a few times. Oak holds its moisture very well and very long. The only option you have is to "kiln" it yourself. Wrap it in shrink wrap, leave the bottom open for drainage and keep it in the sun as long as you can. (see another post on this subject https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-hillbilly-solar-kiln-test.145057/#post-1956899). But considering it is already August, you are probably too late for this option as well, but I would try it and keep your moisture meter with you at all times.

It's heartbreaking. You will find yourself placing pieces near the stove in an attempt to dry them - and then having them sizzle anyway...:(

If you get that oak to lite off make sure you have a good chimney brush, I foresee once a month chimney and stove pipe cleanings.
But please don't get discouraged with oak, once it is dry <20% moisture it burns like a dream

Hey guys this is my first post so be gentle on me. I buy log length wood and process it myself for burning every year. This year I was a bit late on getting my loads but my first load was mostly maple, ash and some cherry. This was about 2.5 cords and I'm not too concerned about burning that. With that said I went to another supplier for the 2nd load and I have just about 95% oak. My plan is to not burn this until late January or very early February of 2016 by that time the new load of oak wood (4 cords) will have sat outside for about 4 months or so then inside near the operating wood stove in the basement for 2 more months with a fan and duct from the stove blowing on the stack. I did not realize how much oak i would be getting and I did not do my home work before buying. Does anyone have experience buring oak that is only seasoned for 5-6 months?

Try not to this of being late this year. Try to think of yourself as being early for next year.

I've burnt oak in less than a year.
However, I cut the wood to just above kindling size. It sat single row in the sun and wind. It burnt fantastic. If you get it small enough it might work, but then its hardly firewood anymore.

Can you find some pine right now? Burn the pine in late winter and save the oak. Tree removal guys might have pine to give away for free.

've burnt oak in less than a year.
However, I cut the wood to just above kindling size. It sat single row in the sun and wind. It burnt fantastic. If you get it small enough it might work, but then its hardly firewood anymore.
Yes... oak tooth pics dry very quickly :) but on average oak is slow.. Now pine it dries quick and does burn pretty well. But in CT the wood guys are not giving it away free anymore

I to split pretty small and stack single row top covered and in the wind and sun and i get to 20% in about a year. But my stove works well with very small splits packed in tight. Some do not.

Reactions: JA600L
Status
Not open for further replies.