50 years burning but never this soon!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Over 50 years actually of burning wood and we've never had a fire this early. I gave in this morning and lit a small fire to take the chill off. It did not get as cold as forecast but still was a bit nippy. I could have started a fire yesterday morning but refused to have a fire in August.

Now it is supposed to warm up for a few days but still nights in the 40's.

They forecast frost for Monday night but only dropped to 40, we saved the wood and burned some pellets in the pellet stove.

Zap

Yeah. Woke up to low sixties in the house and I normally keep the place in the mid seventies when I am burning. But dang it I refuse to light up the stove this early.

i'm with you BWS
had to lite mine this morning as well
rustynut

fired up here. I could see my breathe walking the dawg brrr!!!!!

I've had a small fire in the stove for the last couple of days. Had one in the middle of July this year for a night also, first time for that in 40 years.

We had this discussion last night. The wife was all for a small seasoning fire to begin the year's burning but I did not want to start a fire in August. We were only mid 60s in the house. I have a good portion of the ceiling opened up during my remodel which vents off heat to the attic so our insulation is defeated.

Backwoods Savage said:
Over 50 years actually of burning wood and we've never had a fire this early. I gave in this morning and lit a small fire to take the chill off. It did not get as cold as forecast but still was a bit nippy. I could have started a fire yesterday morning but refused to have a fire in August.

Hey Dennis it just proves as you get older you get smarter. Let the young ones freeze their b er tails off, I'm staying warm. It was so cold last night I saw a chicken cross the road with a capon.
Ed

must be the global warming i have heard all about...
or was that climate change... :p

I'm not shy about burning in July or August, when I need heat I burn wood. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with an occasional ambiance fire as well. Fire em up boys and girls!

Dennis,

It was a damn cold Michigan night for the end of August! :bug:

I walked out the door at about 7am this morning and marched right back in for my jacket!

We may have another cold......cold, Michigan Winter???

So far with reading all these types of posts lately, I have not seen much of a difference from what everybody fears of our short summers. In fact I think I have been better off than most. :cheese: The only big difference is we are still light at 9:00PM and I can still go fishing. I don't know how you guys do it. Rub,Rub Stir,Stir. :lol:

north of 60 said:
So far with reading all these types of posts lately, I have not seen much of a difference from what everybody fears of our short summers. In fact I think I have been better off than most. :cheese: The only big difference is we are still light at 9:00PM and I can still go fishing. I don't know how you guys do it. Rub,Rub Stir,Stir. :lol:

I say it for the twentieth time. You have winter, Thursday, and then winter again North of 60. Sleep late on Thursday and you are screwed.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah. Woke up to low sixties in the house and I normally keep the place in the mid seventies when I am burning. But dang it I refuse to light up the stove this early.

But I wasn't the one reluctantly to refuse to light a fire this am. The solar gain is holding us through the chilly mornings to enjoy the plus 20C during the day and bright sunny evenings. Ya,Ya and don't bother bringing this up in January. Let me bask in the glory just for once BB. :)

north of 60 said:
BrotherBart said:

But I wasn't the one reluctantly to refuse to light a fire this am. The solar gain is holding us through the chilly mornings to enjoy the plus 20C during the day and bright sunny evenings. Ya,Ya and don't bother bringing this up in January. Let me bask in the glory just for once BB. :)

OK Norton.

Backwoods Savage said:

Are you a GW denier?

havent you heard about global warming? ,oh wait now they call it "global climate change" becuase they got busted on that one .it has gotten in the low 40's here in northwestern Pa. the last several nights.i have been debating on weather i should fire up the englander add on furnace this early.i was hopeful i wouldnt need it till october but its looking like this month isnt going to let me do that

north of 60 said:

Sure rub it in . . . I can't get anything done after 7:30 p.m. or so since we keep losing daylight. :(

No woodstove fire for us yet..yeah it's been cold enough to wear a sweater outside. Inside the house the propane stove hasn't kicked on yet and doesn't feel cold yet. Seriously I wouldn't mind waiting till Dec for our 1st fire.

Global warming my ars. I think Al-gore should spend some time inventing Internet II seeing that he did such a good job the 1st time :smirk:

I cranked up the T6 last night about 11:00 using a bunch of bark, bits and pieces, and 3 small/medium spits. Woke up this morning and it was 72* inside and 46* outside :)

savageactor7 said:
No woodstove fire for us yet..yeah it's been cold enough to wear a sweater outside. Inside the house the propane stove hasn't kicked on yet and doesn't feel cold yet. Seriously I wouldn't mind waiting till Dec for our 1st fire.
I've historically waited until Nov. 1 until I turn the heat on (out of principle), but not this year. I don't think I'm going to even make to Oct. 1 at this rate! :cheese:

Wet1 said:
savageactor7 said:
I've historically waited until Nov. 1 until I turn the heat on (out of principle), but not this year. I don't think I'm going to even make to Oct. 1 at this rate! :cheese:

Well with that new stove of yours you should only have to load it once for the month of October. :lol:

colebrookman said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hey Dennis it just proves as you get older you get smarter. Let the young ones freeze their b er tails off, I'm staying warm. It was so cold last night I saw a chicken cross the road with a capon.
Ed

badoom chessssssssss

Status
Not open for further replies.