1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

55 rancher

Post in 'The Gear' started by FFDewey, Dec 2, 2013.

1. FFDewey

FFDewey New Member

Loc:
    SE Iowa
    My brother in law has a 55 rancher with a 18 inch bar. He wants $125 for it, just wondering if it was a gooddeal. It also comes with 4 chains. Also how does this saw compare to a husq 440? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    If in good shape, definitely a good deal! If possible, check compression and look at the piston from exhaust port before buying - and run it for a while. They are good solid saws and I see them go for 175 - 225 here when in good condition. I sold one in very good condition about 6 months ago, with no bar, for about $215. With 4 good chains, an even better deal! CC's about same for 440, but about 1hp higher in the 55. Plus, 55 much easier to work on IMO and parts are real easy to find on eBay. Cheers!
  3. Gunny

Gunny Member

Loc:
    S.E Michigan
    I don't know your BIL but I'm assuming your sister would raise hell if he sold you a saw that was screwed up? I would buy that saw not working for 50-$75 and adding 4 chains is a lock as far as I'm concerned. If you can afford it then go for it! Good luck.
  4. Jon1270

Jon1270 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree, that's a good price if it's working properly. A few months ago I paid $50 for one that wasn't running, with a leaking fuel line, stripped oiler gear and no bar or chains and still felt like it was a great deal after I got it running:

I haven't used a 440, but I don't think they're very comparable. The 55 is a heavier, higher-displacement saw that's about 40% more powerful and has a substantially better power:weight ratio. For general firewood cutting, the 55 is going to be a much better choice.
  5. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    X whatever many replies above. If it's a runner that is a great deal on a good firewood saw. I have a 350 that is a GREAT little saw and perfect in my two saw plan. Now I just need to find a BIG saw to round out the family.
  6. CenterTree

CenterTree Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    Sounds like a good deal. I use a 55 Rancher and the only issue I really have with it is the bar oilier needs a little extra attention from time to time. (cleaned).

But I cut a LOT of wood with it over the years.