55-shp-10 outside air clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amsmith592

Feb 24, 2009
Ohio
Hi was wanting to know if I'm 33 inches below a window with OAK installed, if this would be a problem. Beleive me I have tried every other option but my vent looks to be under a window 33 inches below. Owners manual states never go under a window, but recent internet searches have revealed that vent can be in area of window atleast 18 inches away if a OAK is utilized. Just wanted some oprionion on this before I undergo a instal that I would regret

code requirements are to not be less than 4 ft (48") below or to either side of a window , door or gravity opening or it would have to be extended upwards to a minimum of 1 ft above the opening. there is a codicil in the code which specifies possibly being an 18 inch clearance to the sides with an outside air intake equipped appliance , we have sent a request for clarification to the NFPA concerning this and have as of yet not recieved a reply. until we do recieve a reply stating that this is the case for solid fuel burning appliances we will specify the 4 ft clearance for our units.

note , this is for the exhaust, not the intake there is no clearance requirement for the intake in relation to the opening

Status
Not open for further replies.