6" flue all the way up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Merry Christmas. If I buy a stove with 6" flue, will I use 6" class A all the way up past the roof? My house is two story with a walk out basement where the stove will (most likely) go. Will the chimney work right if it is 6" and runs up (an estimated) 32 feet?

BillsWS said:
Merry Christmas. If I buy a stove with 6" flue, will I use 6" class A all the way up past the roof? My house is two story with a walk out basement where the stove will (most likely) go. Will the chimney work right if it is 6" and runs up (an estimated) 32 feet?
Yep that is what is recomended and it's gonna suck like a hoover with that distance, you should put a flue damper in that length of chimney.

To add you have to change to class A with the first ceiling you go through but maybe you knew that.

My insert has a 5.5" flu which we attached a stainless flex pipe to and ran all the way to the top of the masonry chimney. Works great with plenty of draft. Since it is inside the masonry chimney it keeps pretty warm which decreases the amount of creosote as well that builds up.

Thank you.

I have a fake chimney (chase) on the outside of the house which I decided to open our master bedroom closet into to give us just a bit more room in the closet. We currently have a gas fireplace in the basement (and one on the first floor). I am negotiating with "the boss" to eliminate the basement level gas set-up and add a WS. I wlll have to take some of the space back in the master BR closet though. I am thinking the 6" will require that I take back less floor space.

Welcome to the forum Bill. You definitely want to stay with 6" all the way as if you go to 8" you will lose a lot of draft. What is the sq. ft of your home?

Hello Dennis, I sent you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.