Two Questions regarding newer Brick Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I have a two story house with a single flue external brick chimney (lined) that is only 15 years old. It was used by a wood boiler in the basement, which has since been removed. I am wanting to put a small fireplace insert on the main level and have two questions:

1) The room in the basement where the wood boiler was situated is going to become a bedroom. I need to plug the stove pipe\ flue that goes through the wall to the chimney. What is the best\safest way to do so?

2) The location where the new wood fireplace insert will be on the main floor is about 6' away from where the external chimney goes up the wall (meaning the fireplace will be offset about 6' from chimney). Can I install a selkirk double wall flue pipe through the wall behind fireplace, then on outside of house have it angled up toward the brick chimney and have the Selkirk pipe enter the brick chimney at about ceiling height?

I have a two story house with a single flue external brick chimney (lined) that is only 15 years old. It was used by a wood boiler in the basement, which has since been removed. I am wanting to put a small fireplace insert on the main level and have two questions:

1) The room in the basement where the wood boiler was situated is going to become a bedroom. I need to plug the stove pipe\ flue that goes through the wall to the chimney. What is the best\safest way to do so?

2) The location where the new wood fireplace insert will be on the main floor is about 6' away from where the external chimney goes up the wall (meaning the fireplace will be offset about 6' from chimney). Can I install a selkirk double wall flue pipe through the wall behind fireplace, then on outside of house have it angled up toward the brick chimney and have the Selkirk pipe enter the brick chimney at about ceiling height?
Do you have an actual fireplace to put the insert in?

What is the make and model of the fireplace? Post a picture of it if possible.

Can you provide an example of what you would like to replace it with?

I don't really have a unit picked out yet, more concerned whether I can run selkirk through wall, outside and then into brick chimney. Will that cause issues?

Not enough information to tell. It depends on the length of the horizontal run to the chimney. If done correctly and that run is short and the chimney has a proper liner and is tall enough, then it could work. This will require professional eyes on the site to check the chimney condition and suitability as well as the feasibility and cost of installation.

I don't really have a unit picked out yet, more concerned whether I can run selkirk through wall, outside and then into brick chimney. Will that cause issues?
An insert needs to be put into a working wood burning fireplace the wood shell of an electric fireplace unit isn't going to work to house an insert.

Yes, it's still unclear what the thinking is here. If the OP is saying insert meaning a ZC fireplace, that adds another layer of complication.

Yes, it's still unclear what the thinking is here. If the OP is saying insert meaning a ZC fireplace, that adds another layer of complication.
Yes absolutely in which case using the existing masonry chimney is out. They need to use their specified chimney system

True for the most part, but I see that Ventis has instructions for venting their HE-250 to a masonry chimney with an insulated liner in it. It's an oddball setup.

True for the most part, but I see that Ventis has instructions for venting their HE-250 to a masonry chimney with an insulated liner in it. It's an oddball setup.
Interesting I hadn't seen that

New to me too. I just stumbled on it.