Newbie with a chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dodgetk81

Apr 6, 2024
Moscow, pa
Hello everyone. I just purchased a Master Forge WS110 for heating a detached garage. It’s 12’ to the bottom of the ceiling trusses with no insulation. I am wondering if it is necessary to use the 103 HT chimney piping for the whole chimney. I understand having something where it goes through the roof, but I am unsure why it’s needed below the trusses. I’m a complete newbie as far as a wood burning stove goes. I currently burn coal in my home. The garage has no chimney as of now. I am able to go through the wall and up, if that’s a better option. What are the groups thoughts?

Going straight up is the best option if possible. It's less expensive and vents better. If this is an open interior with no loft to go through then what is called a cathedral ceiling or square support box is used.

I'm guessing the 103HT pipe you're referring to is the stainless class A chimney. It would end wherever your support is, it doesn't go to the stove and it's not supported by the stove. I went straight up in my garage when I put the chimney in and I supported it with the bottom of the truss as I did put a ceiling in and insulated. If you support at the roof sheathing that is where the stainless chimney would end but you have to be sure you have enough clearance from any wood for the stove pipe whether single or double wall.

Here are a couple of installs that may have helpful tips:

Hello everyone. I just purchased a Master Forge WS110 for heating a detached garage. It’s 12’ to the bottom of the ceiling trusses with no insulation. I am wondering if it is necessary to use the 103 HT chimney piping for the whole chimney. I understand having something where it goes through the roof, but I am unsure why it’s needed below the trusses. I’m a complete newbie as far as a wood burning stove goes. I currently burn coal in my home. The garage has no chimney as of now. I am able to go through the wall and up, if that’s a better option. What are the groups thoughts?
Also be aware that stoves are not allowed in any garages in the usa.

Also be aware that stoves are not allowed in any garages in the usa.
I've heard this and I no longer have a stove in my shop as I changed to gas. Is there some code or something? Plenty of shops and garages around with wood heat, never hear of anyone being cited for anything.

I've heard this and I no longer have a stove in my shop as I changed to gas. Is there some code or something? Plenty of shops and garages around with wood heat, never hear of anyone being cited for anything.
Yes there is code specifically saying this. And yes there are many people that do it. No one will get cited. The issue is if anything ever happens insurance most likely won't cover it.