6 inch to 8 inch flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arrowhunter

Sep 18, 2008
North Dakota
Hi all, a newbie here. I am replacing my very old wood fireplace with a new Napoleon 1900 wood stove. My existing flue is 8 inches and the Napoleon has a 6 inch. I'm told the 6 inch is for better efficiancy. I don't want to replace my whole chimney but could replace about 6 feet before it exits the house.

My question is this, should I just get an adapter and adapt right on top the stove or do it at the ceiling before it exits?

Prob'ly doesn't matter too much to the stove, but just for appearances, if I were doing it, I think I'd bring 6" up out of the stove and make the transition just at the ceiling support box. A pic of the installation would help. Welcome to the forum! Rick

Thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can post a pic later tonite when I get home. I think your right, at the ceiling would look better. I'll just have to buy some 6" pipe now. Is there big differences in quality of pipe? I'm thinking of the stuff Menards sells. Can't wait for this new stove to arrive!

Seems we are in the same boat. I have not purchased any pipe yet but was thinking Double wall [DVL] up to the ceiling box - and up it to 8 inch to go through the box. My issue is that the 8 inch currently installed is single wall and not sure you putting different pipe through this box and up to chimney will work.

I've got 16 feet of 8" running up the exterior chase. What comes out of my Napleon is 6" which I convert to 8" as it enters the wall. Been burning for 2 years now with no problems.

I'm running a few feet of 6" to an 8" thimble to an 8" exterior metalbestos. Aside from the occational reverse draft when the stove is cold (no fire) it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.