6 logs in 3 hrs - good burn rate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys curious if this is normal as this is my first year with a wood stove.

I started the stove with kindling and 2 logs, and added a log or 2 every 45 min to an hour.

Im 3 hrs into starting the stove and have burned 6 small splits.

Is that a normal rate? I've been adjusting the burn rate down as per method.

Splits are 14" long, maybe 3 or 4" thick.

Thanks!

That sounds like a reasonable burn rate. What types of stack and stove temps are you maintaining. As you are getting used to the stove and the weather gets colder, you might experiment with a bit larger loads and cutting back the air. Cruising at optimal temps with good secondary burn is where modern stoves shine. Happy burning!

Hey thanks for your input! Yes I'm just easing in as it's still 50f outside.

This is an insert, around 25' of stainless 6" liner.

Since it's an insert I can only measure temp of the first few inches of the liner and it's at the hottest 550F.

Reactions: Prof
Just wanted to give an update. Burned 12 splits tonight over 7 hours.

Looks like I'm basically burning 1.7 logs/hour. I suppose that isn't awful but would love your opinions. Thanks

Adding a few logs at a time will use more wood than loading up the stove and letting it run through its burn cycle. If you run the stove like that in the winter you will also end up with a massive pile of coals

Reactions: jmb6420
Adding a few logs at a time will use more wood than loading up the stove and letting it run through its burn cycle. If you run the stove like that in the winter you will also end up with a massive pile of coals

Ah good point. I'll definitely be filling it to the gills when it actually gets cold out! Thanks.

What kind of wood? Moisture content?

Mix of Red Oak, Maple and Poplar. Moisture between 10 and 18 %