Woodstove recomendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FJ1200Dan

Feb 21, 2024
Harpswell, ME
Greetings,

New guy here. Looking for some recommendations for long term. I live on the coast of Maine and heat primarily with a wood stove. I am heating an open floorplan ranch thats 1500 sq/ft with 11' ceilings on one half, there is a large amount of glass. 1970 construction and seams to hold temp very well. I have a modern propane fired Veissmann boiler as my "backup. The stove is a Hearthstone Heritage 8021 (non-catalytic), original chimney is a large open design made of reclaimed cobble stones. I installed what I have 3 years ago and installed a 6" stainless flexible liner with a cleanout at the bottom. I doubt I could get a 8" liner through the center. Total height is 14'. The problem I have is I leave for work at 6:00 am and get home at 4:30. No matter what I do I have no coals left when I get home, so I am lighting a new fire every day. Combine this with the time required for the Hearthstone to get to approx 300f center top means I am not heating the space until almost 7:00. I am seriously considering one of the "30" series of Blaze king stoves. What experience do people have with something like the Princess 32 in a similar footprint and will it draft well with a 14' chimney (I have no issues with draft now). I would like to be able to go 12 hours easily and be able to add wood twice a day. Just as a point, the Hearthsone is rated for up to 8 hrs and max 55,000 btu's. When I am home and run it around the clock I have no issues heating to 72f when its 10f outside.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Daniel

14ft is kinda short, is it a straight shot or are there turns between the stove and the chimney? Those hurt your draft even more. Also blazekings can go low and slow but if it's cold out you still have to turn them up so your not getting 12 hours except in shoulder season.

2 90's before the 90 cleanout. Could definitely be better
IMG_1586.jpg

I heat about 1750 sq ft plus 825 sq ft basement with. BK 30. Works fine. Only below 15 F do I go below 12 hr cycles.
However you can always run lower and have the temp drop during the day to 60 or so to get a longer burn. Quicker to add wood and increase the thermostat when you come home than to start a new fire.

14 ft may be too short; BK says 15 ft min.

Stalling cat, smoke roll out when you open the door. Frustration with performance.

The chimney is the engine of the stove, don't skimp on that.

With the two 90s that decreases your chimney height so it will be like you have an 11ft chimney.

Going to a top exit stove I could cut one 90 and get away with a 45. This will allow the stove to be centered. How does a 90 vs 45 change length. I know a 90 subtracts 2' in length.

Reactions: Hoytman
A 45 adds 1 ft to the minimum needed length

Maybe take a look at some of the Woodstocks or even a Jotul F55? They would be less draft sensitive and also give you 12 hour burns.

Is that a masonry heater you have the stove vented into?

Reactions: stoveliker
BK likes to have at least 2 ft rising before any bends in the pile. I think that may not fit here?

Maybe take a look at some of the Woodstocks or even a Jotul F55? They would be less draft sensitive and also give you 12 hour burns.

Its funny you mention the F55, that was the stove I originally wanted. The hearthstone came up at a great deal and I jumped on it. When I installed it I worked 2nd shift, it worked great. I lit the fire every night when I got home and then went to bed. Toasty warm come morning. Now on 1st shift, not so much. Do you think I could get an honest 10+ hours out of the Jotul?

It was originally an open indoor grille. The house was built with electric radiant heat. When electricity prices went up around 1980, they bricked up the opening and added a wood stove. There is a 6" cleanout T behind the door and a 6" flexible liner out the top.

Reactions: Todd
Its funny you mention the F55, that was the stove I originally wanted. The hearthstone came up at a great deal and I jumped on it. When I installed it I worked 2nd shift, it worked great. I lit the fire every night when I got home and then went to bed. Toasty warm come morning. Now on 1st shift, not so much. Do you think I could get an honest 10+ hours out of the Jotul?
I get easy 12 hour burns with my F45 and that’s mostly burning Aspen. With good dry Oak I have coals a couple hours more. I would think the F55 should be similar.

I get easy 12 hour burns with my F45 and that’s mostly burning Aspen. With good dry Oak I have coals a couple hours more. I would think the F55 should be similar.
If you have good coals, load it with dry wood. How soon before you get "good" heat? This is the problem I have with the Hearhstone, it's pushing 2 hours.

2 90's before the 90 cleanout. Could definitely be betterView attachment 325001
Pick a top vent stove of your choosing. One less 90 to deal with.

Not a single person has considered the size of that masonry chimney and the fact that it is inside the home.

You’ll be fine. Don’t add chimney height until you find that you need to and I doubt you will. I also have an inside the home masonry chimney. Once that chimney heats up the single wall liner will accept that heat and likely draw as good or better than an insulated chimney. My opinion, people underestimate the difference an inside the home chimney makes.

I don’t guess at my draft. I know for a fact what it can do with a manometer and if it will run at -.005”WC all year long with a coal fire there’s no way it won’t draw with wood having much hotter exhaust. I have 70 year old chimney that my grandparents already proved worked with wood…it was clean as new before I started burning coal in it.

Research it more, pick your stove (top exhaust) and if an issue arises then deal with it. I wouldn’t spend the money on an insulated liner unless I had to. An adapter plate on top and a short section of Class A would probably be enough.

I’d bet a Woodstock steel stove would give you better performance and longer burns than any brand soapstone stove. Nothing wrong with the Blaze King choice either because their thermostats will absolutely spoil you.

This install isn't ideal for current EPA stoves. The vertical rise is minimal. Being directly below will help, this means moving the stove.

Double wall pipe, 2 45's and well insulated liner are all priorities.

Look for the "shortest" stove possible to get max vertical rise.

BKVP