6" (or 8") round clay tile chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonOfSunderland

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2008
Western Mass
Just curious and didn't find anything searching. Does anyone have their stove hooked up to a 6 or 8 inch round clay tile chimney? If so, how's it working for you?

My stove is connected through about 4 ft of metal pipe to a 6-inch (actually measured 6 5/8 inches inside diameter) round clay pipe. it works pretty well. It seems to take a long time to heat up - I notice that the stove burns better after an hour or two of operation than it does at the beginning. I could also use a little more flue just to get the exhaust a little farther above the roofline, but that isn't related to the material the flue is made of.

The advantage of the factory built chimney is that it will heat up quickly giving you faster start-up, cleaner burn on start-up and just better performance. The mass of the masonry works against you. Masonry never saw a btu it wasn't willing to absorb. A masonry chimney, in my opinion is 11th century tachnology venting a 21st century appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.