6" Uninsulated vs. 5" or 5.5" insulated SS Flex Liner- Exterior Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesmoff

Hearth Supporter
Sep 12, 2008
Would a 5" or 5.5" insulated (.5" insulation) liner, in a chimney with three sides exposed, equal or even surpass the draft that a 6" uninsulated liner would offer in the same chimney?

thanks for the input.

I guess I should add I live in southeastern NY- Ulster County- give you guys a climate reference.

It gets damned cold here!

Thanks again!

It might equal the draft, or exceed it, the key would be the height of the chimney. But in general, insulating is a good plan, especially for an exterior chimney. Even if the draft stays the same, the flue is likely to stay cleaner.

The ultimate decision will depend on the how tall the chimney is, the stove model, and how this stove is connected inside.

I am going to be using an old Better n Ben's Model 801 Coal/Wood Burning Insert. I know smoke dragon-whatever-

It has a 6" rear facing outlet on the top of the back of the stove, the stove is attached to a large metal plate on its back that will cover the fireplace opening I am placing it in.

No part of the stove protrudes into the fireplace opening past the metal plate.

The chimney height is 15 foot.

Again, thanks.

The ultimate decision will depend on the how tall the chimney is, the stove model, and how this stove is connected inside. Got the stove info, but need some more details to answer. FWIW, code says don't reduce. Some of this is seat of the pants. At best it's a guess, but if this is a tall chimney, the chances of success are greater with a 5.5" insulated liner. If this is a single story chimney, not as good.

Was editing old post to add info when u were posting-

Approximately 15' Chimney, from top of firebox to top of chimney.

Going to either connect the flex direct to horizontal outlet if possible, or use a tee or elbow to stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.