65°F difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Inside it is 75°F. Outside it is 10°F. 65°F difference.

Burning 2-1/2 yr. seasoned shagbark hickory stoked up at 11pm last night. Right now is it 9am.

I could re-start a fire right now with the coals, but interior temp is just fine.

I'm impressed. :)

Your post reminds me of something I learned last year (year 1). I only add more wood when I need heat even though those nice coal beds are tempting. Fortunately for you, with the outside temp, you should be able to refire soon.

Below 0 here with south wind and I could get the house up to 66 this morning. :grrr:

Shari, our temperatures are real close but it has warmed into the 20's now. Last night I used 4 ash splits knowing that would not get the house too hot for sleeping. Easy to get fire going again this morning and the house never did get cooled off much. I've been wearing only a t-shirt on top all morning.

Backwoods Savage said:
Shari, our temperatures are real close but it has warmed into the 20's now. Last night I used 4 ash splits knowing that would not get the house too hot for sleeping. Easy to get fire going again this morning and the house never did get cooled off much. I've been wearing only a t-shirt on top all morning.

Really? :) :) :) Is that all? :) :) :)

Went shopping for awhile but didn't stoke the fire before we left. It's now 12:45 with solar gain coming in the big living room window. Inside temp dropped down to 73 °F while we were gone but outside it's up to 20°F with about a 10-15 mile an hour wind (cold wind, that is!) Heck, I stoked the first, took off right away on the still burning coals.- I'm cold from being out shopping and anyway, what's 3 or 4 more splits just to keep this old lady comfy. :)

duplicate - sorry

You are excused this time Shari.

Shari said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Went shopping for awhile but didn't stoke the fire before we left. It's now 12:45 with solar gain coming in the big living room window. Inside temp dropped down to 73 °F while we were gone but outside it's up to 20°F with about a 10-15 mile an hour wind (cold wind, that is!) Heck, I stoked the first, took off right away on the still burning coals.- I'm cold from being out shopping and anyway, what's 3 or 4 more splits just to keep this old lady comfy. :)

Hehheh . . . you weren't the only person picturing this . . . my eyes, my eyes . . . please stab my eyes with a blunt butter knife.

firefighterjake said:
Shari said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Hehheh . . . you weren't the only person picturing this . . . my eyes, my eyes . . . please stab my eyes with a blunt butter knife.

My lips are sealed! :)

We get to experiance the 125f Δ once in awhile. Lots of noises going on when opening the door to go outside when the cold rushes in and the warm excapes out. :grrr:

north of 60 said:
We get to experiance the 125f Δ once in awhile. Lots of noises going on when opening the door to go outside when the cold rushes in and the warm excapes out. :grrr:

No sir, I wouldn't like that at all.

I have lived where that sort of thing can happen, but I moved. Last time I visited my brother, we had a solid week of 90-100 degree difference.

It's 82 degrees in this room right now. I've learned I enjoy having the option of making it that warm.

We usually get about a 50 degree spread.

I live in Houston and last week it was in the high 20’s at night. When the temps hit to 76 I add two splits. It goes up to 80, then after a couple hours, it drops to the 76. I add more wood. We go to bed at about 10:30 so I add a couple splits. When the temps go down (about three times a night) I add a two splits. That my wife gets up it is warm. Last year I saved over $1500.00 for propane.

Priceless.

Robert

its 9 am and you haven't added wood yet? That is some impressive self control.

north of 60 said:
We get to experiance the 125f Δ once in awhile.
Wow. If it would ever get to -55 outside my house, I would need a lot more insulation before I could hold 70 inside...

Woody Stover said:
north of 60 said:
Wow. If it would ever get to -55 outside my house...

I would move.

Jags said:
Woody Stover said:
north of 60 said:

I would move.

Now where is your sense of adventure? Ill take that a few weeks of the year and take the rest of the year to have a lake to fish all to myself. Drive to work on the highway to myself and no line up to buy groceries. :coolsmile:

You guys and gals stay put. You are absolutely right.

north of 60 said:
Now where is your sense of adventure? Ill take that a few weeks of the year and take the rest of the year to have a lake to fish all to myself. Drive to work on the highway to myself and no line up to buy groceries. :coolsmile:

You have seen pics of my location. Congestion is not an option to me either. ;-)

I love adventure, just not at minus 55 degrees.

Shari said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Lord forgive me . . . another day . . . another chance to have some fun at Dennis' expense.

Do you suppose this is when Mrs. Savage sees Dennis' fabled Magical Poker he has spoke about in the past? Oh my! ;) :)

north of 60 said:
Jags said:
Woody Stover said:
north of 60 said:

I would move.

To quote Chief Ten Bears

"All of these things you say we will have, we already have"..

minus the -55 stuff. Or as I read in someones sig line:

"I love ALL the seasons, I just choose to live somewhere they skip the crappy ones"

(I will admit I don't fish. But we ate venison stew this weekend made from deer and veggies from right here on my dirt)
(also in the spirit of disclosure, I haven't driven to work in a dozen years or so.. lol)

north of 60 said:
Jags said:
Woody Stover said:
north of 60 said:

I would move.

North, you have a great place up there even if it does get a bit nippy at times. I hope to return some day and you can count on a visit if we ever do get there again.

firefighterjake said:
Shari said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Lord forgive me . . . another day . . . another chance to have some fun at Dennis' expense.

Do you suppose this is when Mrs. Savage sees Dennis' fabled Magical Poker he has spoke about in the past? Oh my! ;) :)

Easy big fella!! There is magic after all.

10hr burn holding 75F...

Well done young Jedi :)

It's way hotter than 10 degrees in Northern Illinois right now. I would be happy with a 20 degree night. I'm sitting at 77.3 inside here, and it's too warm. I don't want the fire to go out as I need it over night.

The Yukon sounds a little rough. -55 is brutal...almost unimaginable. I would love the summers though. If I was independently wealthy, I'd have a house in Canada for the summers and a place in the northern states for winter living.

Status
Not open for further replies.