66,000 lb mass heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fox9988

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2012
NW Arkansas
My home has acid stained concrete floors through out. Its a very effective heat sink. So, between the 66,000 lbs of concrete and the ~8000 lbs of drywall, I don't think the mass of my 4'x8'x1' masonry hearth, the 8'x12' stone mantle wall, or the 440 lbs of soapstone (1800 lbs total?) even make a drop in the bucket. A quick run of the #'s show 1.3 million btu's stored in the slab. I used to live in a wood floored crawl space house, heated up-cooled down much faster. I much prefer the heat sink effect. Opinions?

My house has 18" thick solid brick walls, though wood floors with a basement. For the most part I like it a lot except for certain times in the spring/fall where the wall is cool and cooling the house, but the humidity is super high. Have to turn the A/C on and freeze myself out to knock the humidity down to make it comfortable. It is also odd on those days where it has been 80+ for weeks on end then drops down to the 40's, my A/C is still running cause the wall is still at 80* and warming the house up. Or the times where it will be in the 40 range and then have a heat snap up to 80, furnace is still running cause the house is cold. My walls have a rough 5-7 day lag on outdoor temp.

Dehumidifier would be cheaper to operate. The lag in temp change could also be a good thing, during a 5 day cold snap in the spring:no heat needed. I'm guessing the walls arn't insulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.