6DVL-AD not fitting inside 13-NC stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coolcheech

Nov 11, 2022
Idaho
Hello all, new to the forum (well I've been lurking for a while).

So I live in a manufactured home and recently found a 13-NC and purchased all my pipe from duravent. For the DVL to stovetop adapter the inner crimped section is just about the same exact diameter as the inner section of the stove flue (pointing to it in the uploaded photo). I used some needle nose pliers and spent about 30 min fighting with the thing to try and get it to sit flush inside that inner portion of the stove flue. It just wants to sit on top and not go down in there.
Is that normal? Should I bend more, or cut slits into the crimped section in order to get it to slide down into the stove?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
22.jpg11.jpg

Hello all, new to the forum (well I've been lurking for a while).

So I live in a manufactured home and recently found a 13-NC and purchased all my pipe from duravent. For the DVL to stovetop adapter the inner crimped section is just about the same exact diameter as the inner section of the stove flue (pointing to it in the uploaded photo). I used some needle nose pliers and spent about 30 min fighting with the thing to try and get it to sit flush inside that inner portion of the stove flue. It just wants to sit on top and not go down in there.
Is that normal? Should I bend more, or cut slits into the crimped section in order to get it to slide down into the stove?

Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 302527
Thanks.View attachment 302526
Are you trying to get it to fit inside that bottom flange on the stove?

Yes. Past that flange I’m pointing too. I feel like it’s pretty loose if not
It should no fit inside that flange. Try just the pipe with no adapter

It should no fit inside that flange. Try just the pipe with no adapter
That won’t go at all. It’s a DVL (double /close clearance) pipe. So the adapter helps. I just assumed it would fit snugly. And not just rest on top. I can rock it back and forth on there. the pic shows it the best I can get it. the crimp section is just barely holding on image.jpg

That won’t go at all. It’s a DVL (double /close clearance) pipe. So the adapter helps. I just assumed it would fit snugly. And not just rest on top. I can rock it back and forth on there. the pic shows it the best I can get it. the crimp section is just barely holding on View attachment 302535
It should fit snugly did it fit snug before you bent the crimped section? You may need to hammer out the crimped section with a ball peen hammer

It should fit snugly did it fit snug before you bent the crimped section? You may need to hammer out the crimped section with a ball peen hammer
No. It didn’t go it before.
The tech at Duravent called me back and said it was ok to cut and bend that crimped section to make it fit

When finished it should be screwed into these holes. There should be 3-4.

1E52ABC7-6EF3-46DB-ACA4-370E8B78F472.jpeg

No. It didn’t go it before.
The tech at Duravent called me back and said it was ok to cut and bend that crimped section to make it fit
Did it not fit in the stove collar or not fit into the lower flange before you bent it?

I also spent about 30 minutes trying to get that collar into the lower flange on my stove (different stove but similar set up) But then it dawned on my that it wasnt supposed to fit inside because the 'valleys' in the crimped section would allow a direct path for smoke to get inbetween the inner and outer wall.

Instead when you just sit it on that flange does it move back and forth at all when connected to the stove pipe. If it doenst I think your good to go.

I’m waiting for the grout to dry on the hearth. I hope to have it all installed by later today. But the adapter will just wobble on it’s own

Like I said put it in with the adapter bottomed out on the flange and hammer it out to fit tight. It will be fine as long as you didn't mangle it to bad lol.

I hope it's not screwed up. I cut a few slits in it and was able to get it to seat in there and get the outer layer to rest on the stove
The outer layer is not supposed to do the sealing. There shouldn't be leakage to the outer layer which there may be if the inner liner has been forced into the inside flange. If you want the adapter to fit close to flush, then trim the end off of the crimp a bit.
FWIW, our DVL outer jacket is about 1/2" above the stovetop. On our stove no adapter is required. The DVL adapter is a sloppy, too-loose fit whereas the pipe itself without the adapter is a good fit.

The outer layer is not supposed to do the sealing. There shouldn't be leakage to the outer layer which there may be if the inner liner has been forced into the inside flange. If you want the adapter to fit close to flush, then trim the end off of the crimp a bit.
FWIW, our DVL outer jacket is about 1/2" above the stovetop. On our stove no adapter is required. The DVL adapter is a sloppy, too-loose fit whereas the pipe itself without the adapter is a good fit.
It wasn’t so much that I was concerned about sealing as I was about stability. The adapter just was like a teeter totter on the flue collar, pivoting around the crimped end. I hooked it all up last night and I’m on my second fire this morning. Haven’t seen any issues yet … except I’m trying to figure out the sweet spot to close the door. The fire wants to smolder out when I do. Even after it’s been going for a while and the air is all the way open.

Sealing is important. If the flue collar seal is not good, the draft can be diluted by air being sucked in.

How dry is the firewood? Had the wood been resplit and checked for interior moisture content?