6Superior Gas Fireplace UVFC-600 - Does it need 120v to work if not using a blower motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jillygirl1

Nov 26, 2021
Warrenton, VA
I looked at this fireplace for a friend who said that it never worked. There is a wall switch that has an 18 gauge wire running down to the ignitor area with the two connections of the white and red wires on posts connected to the area behind the switch ("on" "off" or "remote") The manual online doesn't show how to or what to connect the lv wire to. There isn't any feed ran to the j-box but it looks like the receptacle there would only be used for the blower motor, which they don't have one. Based on other things that I've read, it looks like the 120v isn't needed. Is this true? The owner can get the pilot lit but the flame doesn't come on to the logs. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this? Should I take the wall switch out and clean the connections? It has a standard 120v switch. All of the fireplaces that we have installed in new builds have a regular 120v switch. Could the connections at the pilot area need to be cleaned? Thanks for any help!

I looked at this fireplace for a friend who said that it never worked. There is a wall switch that has an 18 gauge wire running down to the ignitor area with the two connections of the white and red wires on posts connected to the area behind the switch ("on" "off" or "remote") The manual online doesn't show how to or what to connect the lv wire to. There isn't any feed ran to the j-box but it looks like the receptacle there would only be used for the blower motor, which they don't have one. Based on other things that I've read, it looks like the 120v isn't needed. Is this true? The owner can get the pilot lit but the flame doesn't come on to the logs. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this? Should I take the wall switch out and clean the connections? It has a standard 120v switch. All of the fireplaces that we have installed in new builds have a regular 120v switch. Could the connections at the pilot area need to be cleaned? Thanks for any help!
Yes to everything. You are on the right track. It sounds like there is a remote. The low voltage wires from the wall switch are either connected to the receiver box( the one that has the "On, Off, Remote switch) wires with wire nuts or piggyback connectors and then connected to the gas valve on the "TH" and "TH/TP" terminals. This allows the fireplace to be operated with either the wall switch or the remote. The only other thing to check is the thermopile output. This is measured across the "TH" and TH/TP" terminals with a multimeter set to DC. With the pilot on and the wall switch off, you should see between 500-750 Mv. With the wall switch on, they should drop by approx half.

Last edited:
Yes to everything. You are on the right track. It sounds like there is a remote. The low voltage wires from the wall switch are either connected to the receiver box( the one that has the "On, Off, Remote switch) wires with wire nuts or piggyback connectors and then connected to the gas valve on the "TH" and "TH/TP" terminals. This allows the fireplace to be operated with either the wall switch or the remote. The only other thing to check is the thermopile output. This is measured across the "TH" and TH/TP" terminals with a multimeter set to DC. With the pilot on and the wall switch off, you should see between 500-750 Mv. With the wall switch on, they should drop by approx half.
Great. Thanks for the suggestions and response. Will give it a shot.

That suggestion from Lennox65 ( This is measured across the "TH" and TH/TP" terminals with a multimeter set to DC.) should read "across the "TP" and "TH/TP" terminals. If you don't read these two, you won't get the correct numbers...

Reactions: Lennox65