7 inch pipe to 6 inch stove collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tshine

Oct 25, 2010
So.Vermont
I am installing an air tight stove into an existing fireplace and need to go from a 7 inch pipe to a 6 inch cast collar on the wood stove. I know that this would typically be done with a 7-6 reducer but the added length of the reducer puts the stove off the hearth...
Can i run the 7 inch pipe over the 6 collar and seal with gasket rope and high temp Sealer? I would then put a hearth extension on the floor in front of the stove for propper protection but my concern is the potential build up of creasote that may run back down the pipe and leak at the sealed junction of the pipe and collar.

Because it is so close to the stove will the gasses be hot enought to carry it through into the chimney with out much build up at that point?

I have found a pancake reducer in HVAC duct that has little added length but I can't seem to find one in rolled steel, do they make these or would it be custom?

Not sure if I am making sense with these questions but I thought if I was going to find an answer or solution, this would be the place to seek advice.

Thanks

You should probably post some pix for clarity, but without them,
I guess we need to have a couple of questions answered before we can offer a remedy...
Why are you using 7"?
Are you connecting to a tee/liner system inside your chimney?
What stove are you trying to install?
Pix. We need pix!

7 inch round is the adaptor that fits the existing damper plate. I had that custom made a few years back. It was for a bi-fold Franklin stove that I have used over the past two winters. There is plenty of draft I i figured if I didn;t have to disrupt the existing plate that's there it would be easier.

I am putting in a dutch-west federal airtight w/ the 6 inch round collar, rear vent. The reason I'm trying to go straight from the adaptor (female/ no crimp) to the collar is because the added length of the reducer is pushing the stove off the hearth. I am going to put a hearth extension down to protect in front to the necessary clearance of 18in.

I will try to get pic's up soon.

I have a 6 to 7 adapter for my Keystone that I purchased from Woodstock and it only sticks out of the stove collar 2.5", so it's pretty stubby. A guy could also trim it down some with tin snips.

Status
Not open for further replies.