1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

8" damper location

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Co3Da, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Co3Da

Co3Da New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    Hi, everyone I posted earlier about the 30yr old kodiak, so I did manage to find an 8" damper and my question was where is the best place for the damper, I was hoping to put it on the collar of the stove right where the smoke pipe joins it like the newer ones are, but I do have a heat recalimer on it 15" up and someone had said put it after the reclaimer but he wasnt sure,any suggestions would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Well, the reclaimer will heat less, but the stove more...if you locate it under it. If you locate it above it, the reclaimer will do a little more with heat that gets out of the stove.
    All in all, it should not make a big difference. I like to put them about a foot from the stove on old stoves which need more control.
  3. Co3Da

Co3Da New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    Thanks for the quick response, do you put them a foot for the convience since it needs more control that makes it easier to reach and all?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.