1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

8" reduced to 6" ????

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by gnatboy911, Jan 30, 2011.

1. gnatboy911

gnatboy911 New Member

Loc:
    Western, CO
    I am a big newbie here, so this may be a stupid question. but, I'm trying to do as much research as possible before i start buying/installing any of my stove pipe stuff. I have a Fisher Grandma Bear stove, it has an 8 inch pipe. I found that 8 inch is a lot more expensive than 6 inch. Would it work to reduce the size to 6 after it leaves the stove? What are the members' feelings on this subject?

thanks for any advice. i've searched the forums but havn't found much yet.

Gnatboy911

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This is a common question. The answer is no, the Grandma is going to suck a lot of air and go through a lot of wood. Personally I would get a good new stove with 6" pipe and give the Fisher to dad for his shop.
  3. Rich L

Rich L Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern,Ma.
    I just sold my Blaze King Classic stove which had a 8" pipe going into an 6" thimble.The stove burned well however everytime I reloaded I'd get smoke spillage into the house.This got old and the stove is gone.So smoke spillage is something you may have to deal with.