8160 direct vent stove turning on and off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dynastyss

Oct 29, 2017
Lake Tahoe
Hello!

I've had a 8160 hooked up to a Nest for a few years now with zero issues. Of late it is struggling to stay on. The pilot light doesn't go out but the fireplace won't turn on. Or if it does, it turns off after a while and won't turn back on for a while.

Any idea what I am looking at?

Thanks

You have a millivolt system. The Thermopile (TP) is probably on it's way out.
If you have a multimeter, set it to VDC & take a reading on the gas valve terminal block.
Put your probes on the TP-TH & the TP terminals & take a reading.
With the burner OFF, it should read around 550mV +/- 50 mV.
With the burner ON, it should read about 220mV +/- 20mV., & hold steady at that value.
Let us know what you get.
If you need to replace it, Unviversal Millivolt Generators cost around $60 at True Value.

Not sure. I have not worked on that unit & I don't know how involved it is to get at the pilot assembly.
The TP is held in place with a 7/16" nut from the underside. Two Philips head screws hold it to the terminal block.
No Gas line work is involved. Easy disassembly & replacement for a trained tech, but not sure how capable you are.