A bit of everything

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet_Pete

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2014
Franklin County, MA
Well, my buddy's moving out-of-state, and he has made me heir to some of his firewood and a 1-cord drying shed. Free wood, free shed, free delivery - that's what friends are for, right?

Salvaged some really old splits of cherry, butternut, sugar maple & Norway maple from some uncovered stacks that have been sitting in the shade for 3+ years! :rolleyes: These stacks had the "wet blanket" effect I read about somewhere else on this forum - top two courses of splits were rotten and full of decayed sapwood & leaves, but the lower courses were bone dry (though the sapwood was rotted out of them). Not the prettiest wood but it'll do! Also took a bunch of apple, which was under cover in rounds in the wood shed in his yard. Got about 1/2 cord from this, and he also gave ma pickup load of rotten/punky maple rounds <> - I know, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Pic below: On the right, apple on top of some recently scrounged red oak & black locust. Old salvaged stuff in the back on the left. Front left is the "new" wood I've been scrounging up here and there (cherry, black birch). Uglies of apple & cherry piled far right.

image.jpg

Thought he was going to give me the cord of cherry he just bucked up, but he split it up and sold it to someone else for $200/pickup load :eek:. Guess I cant blame him.

Man! He has a lot of nerve selling that cherry when you you were willing to take it.:) Nice little shed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.