A blower's a blower's a blower? For my Lopi?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetoric

Oct 12, 2006
Western NY
I have a Lopi and have found a new Promaster Majestic blower (NIB) for $50? Will it work? Are the universal interchangeable? Do I have to buy a special fan?

I would think if you can rig it up to your stove, and it blows hot air, then go for it.

Blowers have different cu/ft /min, may be either 1725rpm or 3450rpm or variable speed & different opperating voltages 120,240,440, 12 vdc,24vdc. They also have different hp ratings,
different electric motor types built on a varity of motor frame groups, with different mechanical
mounting locations and mounting system designs.

They variable speeds can be achieved in several differnt ways. Multipule speed windings in the motor, an external motor speed control,such as a full wave ac phase control, a variable speed arangement such as a variable speed electric drill. Or even a household wall mounted light dimming swith, which is just a weak power rated variable ac phase control.

the power that the variable speed control can withstand & delever must be matched to the power that the blower motor demands.

If you get a blower that is weaker that what u r replacing, u wont be very happy with it.

if you get a stronger blower & try to use the variable speed control in your pellet stove or wood stove you will burn out your variable speed control of your stove. In pellet stoves that is the control board computer that you risk blowing out.

they also use different fan assemblies and different mounting methods of the fan to the motor shaft and the blower can rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise.

If you go for it ,choose wisely.

your old blower motor should have a label on it, & list the volts , rpm rotation direction, cw=clockwise,ccw=counter clockwise, the amps the motor pulls to run ,the speeds the motor runs & the watts the motor consumes. Also important , if you wish to change just the motor and reuse your fan & blower assembly, is the diameter of the motor shaft and the length it comes out from the motor & weather the shaft comes out the front or rear of the motor & how the motor mounts to your fan & blower assembly.

www.wwgrainger.com or maybe grainger.com or graingersupply.com
googleit or ask.com it for the proper web adress,it when with my old computer.

they sell over 400 blower motors, on line, in their catalog and in their stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.