A day in the woods.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Coming in for a second load.
Readyforanotherload.gif

Neighbor has a load to take home with him.
Carlsload.gif

There was no doubt this would be a hanger because the tree was leaning. It was a twin but I had cut the one side off a couple years ago. Today I decided it was time for this poison ivy loaded tree to come down. Tree is about 26" diameter. I was hoping it might come down but needed some luck for that to happen. It did not happen. This thing is such that I will just leave it for a strong wind and then it will come down. It might be fun with all that poison ivy all over the tree. At the base it is about 3" thick with ivy!
Ash-PoisonIvyhanger.gif

Okay, the big one hung so what can we do with this thing? Dang, there is an apple tree there on the left and another one on the right. Not a problem on the right as I'm sure I can miss it. Tight on the left though. All went well until it hit that dead elm. Now 2 limbs got stuck in the apple. Strike two.
Badhanger.gif

We're cutting in some thick prickly ash and it is terrible. Not only that but now rather than poison ivy vines, we have grape vines. Those things can really tie the tree tops together. I tell the neighbor we will have another hanger and he says no. Okay, let's cut.
Anotherhanger.gif

As you can see, at this point I had cut four 4' sections off the butt and the danged tree is still wrapped in grape vines. Have you ever had one of those days? :roll:

Dennis, it's nice to know you're feeling better. Now, I only have one question...How long have you been snow free? Jeez oh pete!

Dave we have not even got 2' of snow this year and I doubt it is over 15". We had one 8-9" snowfall but since then it comes usually 1 or 2" at a time. Last week we had a few days with snow but then Spring hit once again. Today felt a bit cooler but still working without Carhartts! My ears did get a bit cool when on the atv so needed covering but this winter is simply amazing. Come on down and you might think you are in Florida!

Those grape vines are TOUGH stuff. Any plans how to pull down the floating tree, or is it better to just wait for it to wiggle its own way out of that mess? Thanks for the pics - it does the heart good to see the forest even when I'm inside by the computer....

I think I'll just leave it a while and see what happens. Mother Nature many times will assist.

Very nice Dennis ! This winter has been mild indeed I cut a path at a friends wood lot today so he could get his truck back in the woods and it was all mud and sink holes.

Pete

i hate those stupid vines. looks like a tangled mess dennis. but least your out and cutting.

Looks awesome! I was happy to be in my backyard splitting, I wish my backyard was like yours!

fv

My neighbor kept me busy this week but it worked out rather well. Except for being really tired I don't feel too bad except when I first stand up after sitting. Then the back really lets me know and so do the hips. I do not regret being out there working this week as it has been fun and we cut a lot of trees. Fortunately not many were like the ones pictured above.

We did have to change paths though. We actually started cutting in a different area because it got too muddy. Then this morning we opened a new trail to get back to where the pictures were taken. There is only one spot giving us a bit of trouble but so far it is just sort of greasy and we're not cutting in much. If that changes, then we'll once more cut in a different area. So many trees, so many cuts to be made....

Bobby you sure are right about those darned vines.

Pull it down with a come-a-long if you got one. I've used them several times for leaners and to drop a tree if it's leaning the wrong way.

Pat

That is definitely one option that is on the table Pat.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Muther Nature and I are having a pissin' match. she's winning.

Do the snow dance for Steamboat, CO next week!

KC

Back in the saddle already? Can't keep a good man down, I guess! :) Nice looking Ash...what you could get down, anyway.

I've been cutting this week as well. Upper 50s all week...unbelievable! We've only had snow that stuck to the grass once. Unheard of in the 25 years I've been here. I'm sure glad to be able to get the jump on the wood so early in the year, though. This week it was Black Cherry, White Ash and BL. The area I'm working is very congested. Lots of BL and small Ash jammed in tight. Thankfully there are not too many vines to keep them from coming down, just have to try to avoid hanging 'em. Oh yeah, and this place is overrun with Wild Rose...ow, ow, eeeouch!

Nice pictures Dennis, glad to see your out and cutting.

Pat53 said:
Pull it down with a come-a-long if you got one. I've used them several times for leaners and to drop a tree if it's leaning the wrong way.

Pat

I'd hook a chain to the bottom and pull it with the 4wheeler, that is depending how much tree is left. To big of a tree when its hits the ground will whiplash you right off that 4wheeler..........Don't ask me how I know :)

Cool Dennis

I've been wanting to get in the woods and play too! But its been too wet and muddy here and all the four wheelers are at the farm. I have a mine safety class in Howell on the 16th I get out about 4pm. If you are not too far from there it would be great to my saws out and cut with you.

Billy

Looks like you still have some nice weather Sav, nice job. Time for some winching equipment, cables,tree savers, d-shackles then you can pull that right out of the tree.

zap

Good to see your at it again Dennis. Park the 4 wheeler under the hanger and it will fall in no time. Lol. This weather has everything messed up, some are already tapping the maples which is unheard of in Mich this time of hear. I'm gonna wait and hope mother nature turns us cold again.

trailrated said:
Pat53 said:

Pat

I'd hook a chain to the bottom and pull it with the 4wheeler, that is depending how much tree is left. To big of a tree when its hits the ground will whiplash you right off that 4wheeler..........Don't ask me how I know :)

Now that must have been interesting!

Cowboy Billy said:
Cool Dennis

I've been wanting to get in the woods and play too! But its been too wet and muddy here and all the four wheelers are at the farm. I have a mine safety class in Howell on the 16th I get out about 4pm. If you are not too far from there it would be great to my saws out and cut with you.

Billy

That would be fun Billy. Maybe sometime I can visit you in the UP too. You are very welcome any time here but we really have plenty of wood. I'm actually considering not cutting any more and starting the splitting. And today was just a fantastic day again. I've never seen a winter like this year and I've been around a few years.

wishlist said:
Good to see your at it again Dennis. Park the 4 wheeler under the hanger and it will fall in no time. Lol. This weather has everything messed up, some are already tapping the maples which is unheard of in Mich this time of hear. I'm gonna wait and hope mother nature turns us cold again.

I was wondering if anyone has tapped yet. The sap should have run some this week. Beautiful weather and today with so much sun was really nice. I do think I'll park the atv in the barn though.

Zap, I though of you that day when I hung the trees. I figured you'd love winching those buggers.

Backwoods Savage said:
wishlist said:

I was wondering if anyone has tapped yet. The sap should have run some this week. Beautiful weather and today with so much sun was really nice. I do think I'll park the atv in the barn though.

Zap, I though of you that day when I hung the trees. I figured you'd love winching those buggers.

Yep, I have the old winch with no brakes to prove it!

zap

Looks like a great day in the woods Dennis. So glad you are out there. Be careful with those leaners ;-P

Backwoods Savage said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Cool Dennis

Billy

That would be fun Billy. Maybe sometime I can visit you in the UP too. You are very welcome any time here but we really have plenty of wood. I'm actually considering not cutting any more and starting the splitting. And today was just a fantastic day again. I've never seen a winter like this year and I've been around a few years.

Sounds good Dennis. I don't mind helping out on a splitter either. And it would be interesting to see a vertical splitter at work as I still don't believe it would be better for me than a well designed horizontal. Which the one I am using now isn't. But I brought home my beam and am getting ready to build a new one.

I'd love to show you around the farm. I still have a lot of work to do to get it where I want it but things are coming together. My brother and I bought a new battery for the solar panels. And moved the two solar panels we had to a better spot. But we still have to assemble ten large panels and get them put up which should give us 80 amps of 24v charging and keep us from having to run a generator at all.

Billy

Mother Nature is my cutting partner . . . at least she's helped me many a time with hangers . . . when I come back I can tell she has been working since the hangers are on the ground.

Short of that . . . I use a come-along to winch the tree down.

Status
Not open for further replies.