A day with my Fireview- Gasket replacement and chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I posted a while back about replacing the gaskets on my Fireview (7 years old and pretty much all day burns from October to April) and today was the day I tackled the job. I'm not the most handy of guys but I am willing to learn and get dirty. I got everything I needed according to the instructions and went to it. I watched all the available Woodstock "how to" videos a few weeks ago. The first thing I found was that the gaskets were clearly SHOT. The biggest obstacle was the cement that came with the pack, as someone warned me, is was too thick even after soaking it in hot water as they suggested. I was able to spread it but it was tough going.

Once I got inside I found that the bypass cover was warped so a quick call the Woodstock got that part on order as well as a new cat. She didn't say that it would have been from an over-fire (I've been very careful about that too) but said it was not uncommon.

As I put each piece back after replacing the gasket the first thing I noticed was how much tighter the fit was. This was especially true with the door and the top.

The one gasket that caused me the most anxiety was the glass gasket. However, after reading the instructions very carefully and taking my time it was actually pretty straight forward.

I'm looking forward to firing her up and seeing what a difference it makes this year. I think I'll go to a 6 year rotation on the gaskets from here out. I think it's worth it for $55.

Oh yeah, I also swept the chimney and ended with a cup of fly ash with very almost no black stuff.

fv

Congrats on what sounds like success all around.

Reactions: fireview2788
Congrats on what sounds like success all around.

Thanks, I agree that it was a success. I wasn't happy when I found the warped bypass but it is what it is. As much as this stove has saved me over the past 7 years it's worth the upkeep and cost.

fv