A few more of the hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I worked on the tree for about an hour Monday, duck hunted on Tuesday, and it's pouring today. I'm hunting tomorrow, supposed to rain again, so I'll get back to it on Friday.

The rest of the tree:
IMG_0441.jpg

What my daughter and I worked up earlier:
IMG_0442.jpg

The rounds:
IMG_0444.jpg

The setup:
IMG_0445.jpg

The pile for the morning;
IMG_0447.jpg

This is my house.

Beautiful house & yard you have.Great looking pile of heat too.

Dont forget that tall stump! ;-) Lots of great wood there.I normally level them off no more than 8-10" tall,unless its hollow or way out from walking trails etc.

Hey, I can't see your stack! Does the Fireview burn so clean that you don't even need a flue? :cheese:

Thistle, yeah I'm trying to figure out the stump thing. I've never cut one before but it WON'T be forgotten.

WS, exactly!! :) . It's on the backside of the house and you can't see it because we are actually lower than the house elevation wise.

f v

fireview2788 said:
Thistle, yeah I'm trying to figure out the stump thing. I've never cut one before but it WON'T be forgotten.
Make a small wedge face cut on the side that the stump is leaning toward. Start your back cut so that it'll come in a couple inches above the V of the face cut. I like to start the back cut until the bar is into the trunk far enough so that I can put the brake on and view the plane of the bar to see that it's going to end up in the right place. If not, adjust accordingly. Once you get into the back cut far enough, knock a wedge in behind the bar, just in case...

Nice pictures
Got some real nice wood stacked up. Lot of heat for next year.
Looking good

Is that your camo duck blind ?

Nice wood pics fv.

Dave- I think fv should skip the duck hunting, not sure those mallards will fly into the wood pile! Then again, maybe its a buckeye thing? Lol....:)

wishlist said:
Nice wood pics fv.

Dave- I think fv should skip the duck hunting, not sure those mallards will fly into the wood pile! Then again, maybe its a buckeye thing? Lol....:)

I was going to ask where the decoys were, but figured he was hunting "Wood Ducks" LOL :lol:

bogydave said:
wishlist said:
Nice wood pics fv.

I was going to ask where the decoys were, but figured he was hunting "Wood Ducks" LOL :lol:

Now that's funny! Maybe one of those holzhozen stacks would be more appropriate? ;)

Not sure why but the pictures are not loading for me. They started but then stopped. Maybe just my computer.

For the stump, If you are pulling it, the length will give you some leverage to help pull it, then cut it up.
Or
rent/hire a stump grinder after yo have it cut a short as you can. They grind the roots way out & then you can plant grass & mow.
Good luck, looks like a tough stump.

Actually it's my deer blind that I set up to dry out before storing it. Haven't you ever seen wooden duck decoys? geez, you guys need to get out more.

Holzhousen would require German ducks.

The stump is getting ground eventually.

f v

Awesome house and nice looking pile of wood. What type of hickory is that? The only type I have around here is shagbark and it looks nothing like that.

Ok fv, we believe you. Did you have any luck this year? Quack Quack! :)

It's a pignut hickory. If you're in Athens then you have pignuts also, they are common throughout Ohio.

Luck, ummmmm if you count a coot as luck then yes. If your counting ducks them not yet. I've only been out a couple of times. :sick:

f v

FV, nice looking spread............ some nice btu's in that pile.

zap

Someone asked how much wood I would get out of the tree. I have the main trunk c/s/s and have 3/4 of a cord. With the limbs I'm betting I'll end up with close to a cord and a fourth.

fv

Finished c/s/s the hickory yesterday and measured it today, ended up with 1.3 cords. I'm really happy with it since it looks to be our 2014/2015 supply so it's going to be well seasoned!

fv

Enjoyed the pics. Hickory is a great wood. I've cut up only a couple pignuts, nice straight ones about 18in. in diameter. Everything about that tree is tough even the bark, hard as a rock. As has been well documented by others, the wood borers can have a field day, as they did in mine. Burned fantastic!!1!

Status
Not open for further replies.