A few pics of work with the gear this year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
A mix of putting
juzybyha.jpg
nejeve4y.jpg
9e9ymune.jpg
zu7aza9e.jpg
the gear to work this past year.

Now it's your turn. Let's see some of your favorite pics of putting your gear to work. Doesn't matter what your working, saws, tractors, mowers, skidders, splitters, trucks, etc. etc. Let us see it.

The new cart and the chit box. The cart is a big help for moving wood the heep isn't the best for hauling so I usually have to make mult trips on my scrounges. Just a junker for around town but the drive train is strong. Oh Saranac looks familiar, was serving the neighbors Saranac IPA from the variety pack last night.

Attachments

• nov2013b.jpg
    nov2013b.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 217
  • jeep2.jpg
    jeep2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: bioman and Gasifier
The new cart and the chit box. The cart is a big help for moving wood the heep isn't the best for hauling so I usually have to make mult trips on my scrounges. Just a junker for around town but the drive train is strong. Oh Saranac looks familiar, was serving the neighbors Saranac IPA from the variety pack last night.

Nice working gear there jatoxico. Like the Jeep. The carts are a huge help. I use to wheelbarrow a lot of wood and then switch to the cart when I got tired of it. It was a good work out. Now I find myself switching to the cart a lot sooner. LOL I get plenty of workouts in felling and cutting and mowing, weedeating, landscaping, and ......................

I need gear...

Nice working gear there jatoxico. Like the Jeep. The carts are a huge help. I use to wheelbarrow a lot of wood and then switch to the cart when I got tired of it. It was a good work out. Now I find myself switching to the cart a lot sooner. LOL I get plenty of workouts in felling and cutting and mowing, weedeating, landscaping, and ......................

Definitely one of those things (cart) I should have gotten a long time ago. I need a real tractor hopefully I will run into something. You have some nice toys, do you cut on your own land? Looks like you have the room to use them.

Yes. I have mostly White Pine on my property, probably 85%, but plenty of White Ash as well and that is almost exclusively what I burn.

Here is my modest work area. Paid $100 for that trailer and it works great for getting to the trees I'm cutting in the woods

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 171
Nice Bobcat unit, Gassy. Looks to be real handy. I would post up my junk, but the cast of characters have stayed the same and I have posted them many times in the past, so I will save the bandwidth.

Okay... I'll bite. All from this fall.

Getting ready for the annual over-seeding (1100 lbs. of seed each fall):
photo 1.JPG

Grading the wood lot with a rear blade, in preparation for new seed:
photo 2.JPG

Someone I found hiding in a hole:
photo 4.JPG

Splitting some smaller stuff (under 20" - 24" diameter):
photo 3.JPG photo 12.JPG photo 6.JPG

Splitting some bigger stuff (46" - 50" diameter):
photo 13.JPG photo 15.JPG

Moving it all:
photo 11.JPG photo 7.JPG

Last edited:
What's left to be split:
photo 16.JPG photo 17.JPG photo 18.JPG

Admiring a day's hard work:
photo 19.JPG

Moving it up to the house:
photo 20.JPG photo 21.JPG

Getting ready for the next season:
photo 23.JPG

Both stoves loaded:
photo 8.JPG photo 9.JPG

Time to relax:
photo 10.JPG

Are you going to split all that this season yet? Where do you get all the wood, do you buy truck loads? I "acquire" all I can from jobsites I work on plus what falls/standing dead around my house, but I'm just a rookie yet

Here is my modest work area. Paid $100 for that trailer and it works great for getting to the trees I'm cutting in the woods

Nice wheeler, nice trailer, and nice splitter. I have been renting or borrowing a splitter for years. Some day I am going to buy one, but for now renting one for $60 for the day seems fair. I usually only need it for 2 days a year. Maybe three.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks! We haven't bought heating oil in 3 yrs so each year I got another "toy" to aid in the wood business. Last time we filled the (2) 275 gal tanks it was over $1400 so that paid for the splitter last year (18 months free financing at Lowes) and now the saw this year and part of the new stove. My wife is pretty good about letting me have my toys for the wood since she likes to stay warm in the winter haha! And the quad is as you can see my snow removal tool for the long driveway. Now what to save for next year... Maybe a "woods" truck? Lol

Reactions: paul bunion
Are you going to split all that this season yet? Where do you get all the wood, do you buy truck loads? I "acquire" all I can from jobsites I work on plus what falls/standing dead around my house, but I'm just a rookie yet
Yep... that better get split this season! I'm ripping thru quite a bit of wood, running two stoves, so getting three years ahead has meant splitting upwards of 12 cords per year, these first few years.

I get all of the wood for free, scrounging. Hurricane Sandy left me more than I could manage, as I cut up several trees that were several cords of wood each, one being as large as 60" diameter at breast height (DBH). I have a co-worker who lives on 30 acres of wood, and I cut a few days at his place each winter, usually renting a big tandem axle trailer once each spring to haul it all home. I also lost four trees in my own yard this year (one 24", two 16", one 12"), and got one free truck load from the guy clearing the wooded lot behind my house.

Even with access to all this free wood, I'm tempted to start buying truckloads. At $500 - $600 for 8 cords delivered, I can't think of an easier way to get firewood. I really bust my ass to bring all this wood home.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Anything firewood related around here= busting your ass. I'm an island here, nobody likes to help but they all like to stay warm. If I want some quality "ME" time, I just fire up the saw or splitter and everyone leaves me alone for a few hours ;)

Reactions: Sinngetreu
Status
Not open for further replies.