A few questions about our new FPX 36 fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snarflemike

Oct 19, 2016
Pollock Pines, CA
Hi, new guy here. We've just installed an FPX 36 in our new home, 4000 feet up in the Sierras. I heard many good things about it, not least the the installer was saving up for one for his own home. I have a couple of questions, but first a few comments (some based on other threads I read here).

1) I also get the on-off blower as the fireplace cools down. Just off for a few seconds, then back on. Just FYI, don't know if I'll look to mitigate that or not.

2) I was glad to read that many people are removing the grate. It seems to just be in the way, and also raises up the fire, making less of it visible. My two previous fireplaces had no grates, so that seems normal to me.

3) This seems to be the easiest fireplace to light that I've used. I do top-down fires, and I always get a good fire going quickly.

4) I was surprised to see white "smoke" coming from the chimney with the combustor engaged, but then I read that it was steam, and it did look more like steam to me. That was a surprise, as this is the first catalytic burner I've used.

Now for the questions.

1) Given that the air level movement is no more than 1 inch, do people use intermediate air settings, or just full open and full closed?

2) I've seen the flames reaching the front of the combustor (before turning down the air), and somewhere I read that's a bad thing. Comments?

3) I saw on one site that fire starters using wax etc should not be used. I love the little Rutland starters, and I don't like using paper - just a personal preference. Will this be a problem? It did occur to me that the fire starter will be fully consumed before the combustor is engaged, so no starter fumes should enter the combustor in any case. Thoughts?

Thanks for any replies.

I doubt the wax starters will cause any problems. The starter should be consumed before you close the bypass. I also have flames lapping the face of the cat at times. Going into my 4th season and I am on the original cat with no visible damage. I am sure it is not good for it, and something I try to avoid but it does not seem to cause short term damage.

I tend to run my 44 on high almost all of the time due to creosote on the glass doors at less than about halfway lever. I can turn down the air to the point that the flames go out like a stove, but the doors need daily cleaning and I do not like thinking about what is happening in the chimney. I have come to realize that I need to turn down the air blower when running on lower settings. Otherwise the box is over cooled by the fan. You can also use this to minimize the on/off cycles on cool down. Another member suggested to me that loading N/S greatly improves turn down performance. I plan to try both this season.

You will get smoke out the chimney even with the cat engaged if the firebox is too cool. I routinely see this at the end of a burn cycle when the fire is very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.