Fireplace flue sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

npergosky

Dec 22, 2023
Pennsylvania
Hi all,

We just had a home build with a wood fireplace on the first floor. Upon using it the first few times now, there is continually puffs of smoke rolling out of our fireplace and into out house, even after getting good and hot. IT even set the smoke alarms off the other night.
I'm not new to fireplaces and never had any issue with our old house after we would get a draft started.
Upon doing some research online I suspect that the chimney pipe/flue is too small for the opening of the fireplace. There chimney pipe is 9"x9" square ouside and stands approximately 30ft. from the top of the fire box to teh top ofnthe chimney.
The fireplace it about 28" tall and 36" wide.
I have seen the 1/10 and 1/12 ratio be referenced to regarding flue size to fireplace opening. And by those numbers min is way off. Can anyone confirm that this is possibly my problem? Any other factors I should be considering?
Thanks,

Hi all,

We just had a home build with a wood fireplace on the first floor. Upon using it the first few times now, there is continually puffs of smoke rolling out of our fireplace and into out house, even after getting good and hot. IT even set the smoke alarms off the other night.
I'm not new to fireplaces and never had any issue with our old house after we would get a draft started.
Upon doing some research online I suspect that the chimney pipe/flue is too small for the opening of the fireplace. There chimney pipe is 9"x9" square ouside and stands approximately 30ft. from the top of the fire box to teh top ofnthe chimney.
The fireplace it about 28" tall and 36" wide.
I have seen the 1/10 and 1/12 ratio be referenced to regarding flue size to fireplace opening. And by those numbers min is way off. Can anyone confirm that this is possibly my problem? Any other factors I should be considering?
Thanks,
Yeah your flue is too small. I would recommend an insert.

Reactions: npergosky